a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

another reefing plan

Started by blighhigh, May 23, 2014, 05:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blighhigh

I plan to duplicate a reefing system that I had on another boat.  It uses just one line but requires additional blocks and the use of the port side rope clutches.  One end of the line is tied off on the boom near the luff.  It goes through the luff cringe from starboard to port through a double block at the mast base  and then through the cabin top turning blocks and through the outer rope clutch.  At this point the line makes a curve back through the other rope clutch.   The line continues through the ` inner rope clutch through the turning blocks to the mast base double block to the port side of the boom and a boom mounted turning block to the end of the boom where another turning block allows it to go through the leech cringle from port to starboard.  It is then tied off on the boom. I know it seems complicated but it has several advantages.  1.  I never use the rope clutches on the port side of the cabin top since I manually raise and lower the mast.  The downhaul can be easily tightened with the winch and tied off on the cabin top cleat.  This system  allows the luff and leech of the sail to be tightened by the winch. Pull on one of the rope clutch lines and you tighten the luff.  Pull the other part of the line and you manage the leach  2.  you don't leave the cockpit. 3.  Allows use of the rope clutches for a very important function.    This system was set up initially be a rigger in Pensacola.

sbgolden

Hi- Do you have a diagram of this? it sounds like a good idea. Also wondering how you rigged your downhaul.
thx!

mdueweke

Greetings
I just saw your post on this subject. I have a 2004 model HC and I keep her in the water all season on Lake St Clair, MI.
I liked your reefing idea and was wondering if you could please share pictures or a drawing to make it more clear.
I reef often and when on the water, I lower the sail and use the front hatch to access the  tack crinkle and then tie  back the clew in the cockpit. After I lower the sail I let herd rift downwind or at idling speed. She tracks well.
I can do it pretty quickly but your method sounds interesting. Since I keep my mast up all season, I too can free up a line clutch.
Regards Mike

blighhigh

I will take some photos in a week or two when I am back at the boat.  My problem as usual is posting them

Tom L.

I think I understand the layout. As I understand the Luff cringle is tensioned by the outer clutch and the leech cringle by the inner clutch, right? If that is true why keep the line as a single line. Each clutch and reefing line  work independently, I think. Maybe I need to wait for the picture. I agree good luck posting pictures.
Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat