a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

so let's talk toilets.....

Started by brackish, May 12, 2014, 10:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

...Yeah I know, not the favorite forum subject, however, I've permanently replaced my Sealand Sani-potty with a Clean Waste toilet.  I got so tired of dumping then recharging the nasty holding tank, lifting in and out the top unit filled with water, winterizing the unit, in my non standing headroom 23 that something had to be done.  So when not so Crazy Carl put me on a lifetime supply of Wag Bags on the cheap I had to make a move.  It fits perfectly in a 23, the rear legs actually fit right up against the compartment bulkhead, so I made a teak cleat to position and lock the front leg and it is done.

Additionally, at night, when the berth is made up for sleeping, because the unit is so light, I can move it to the cockpit which was fairly difficult to do with the porta-potty. 

Thank you Carl for the inspiration. 

crazycarl

thanks brack!

i've made many improvements to boats i've owned over the years.

designed and built cradles, sleds, rocking horses, and furniture.

designed and built toys for mattel, kenner, american toy co., and processed plastic co.

made numerous items for plano molding co.

built the models for a 1989 ford crown victoria dash board and many other automotive items.

worked on the space shuttle, sky lab, the original artificial heart (jarvic 7), countless military ordinances, and even prototype nuclear warheads.

now, on this site, i'll forever be remembered as the guy who inspired sailors to defecate in plastic bags.

seriously tho, we used them for the florida trip and they where so much easier to deal with than the porti-potti.

cc
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

fried fish

3 legs stable?
Looks precarious for a midnight mission in the cockpit.
Just saying.....

brackish

Quote from: fried fish on May 13, 2014, 08:01:34 AM
3 legs stable?
Looks precarious for a midnight mission in the cockpit.
Just saying.....

All good tool engineers know that it takes three points to create a locating plane, any additional are just superfluous.:)

BruceW

I had a  bucket with a round seat on it on last boat. I like the bags a lot. I have them, and was going to try using them with the porta potti I have on the CP 23. Haven't really tried to yet though. Do you think they won't work, or that it is just not on.

I could try to find one of those seats for my bucket if this way won't work.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

brackish

Quote from: BruceW on May 13, 2014, 09:50:32 AM
I had a  bucket with a round seat on it on last boat. I like the bags a lot. I have them, and was going to try using them with the porta potti I have on the CP 23. Haven't really tried to yet though. Do you think they won't work, or that it is just not on.

I could try to find one of those seats for my bucket if this way won't work.

I have used the Wag Bags with the Sealand porta potti and they work OK.  The Clean waste mesh support bag is a little deeper so it is a little easier to use.  My theory is that I can sell the Sealand unit, along with two holding tanks, the chemical and hold down clamps on Craigslist for what I paid for the clean waste unit and have a much more versatile unit that can be easily moved to the cockpit, or even the beach or woods for other camping excursions.

wes

Brackish -

The optimist says: "the glass is half full."
The pessimist says: "the glass is half empty."
The engineer says: "looks like you've got about twice as much glass as you need there."

Wes (a fellow engineer)
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

capt_nemo

brackish,

Very well done!

I too got rid of the Porta Potti on my Sun Cat in favor of a bucket, homemade wood seat, and Wag Bags. (Can carry Porta Potti below if necessary for rare daysails with first mate.)

The Potti used to fit in the center space between the long wood cleats under the bridge deck as shown below.

That space is now occupied by a Step/Two Drawer Storage Module that I designed, fabricated, and installed. Much better use of the limited space below. Step top removes easily to reveal storage compartments below.

capt_nemo
'nuther ENGINEER

BruceW

I went to the site and looked at the device; haha, it was funny to click on the link for a "demo" but hey, they did a good "job" of it.

Looks like a good move to make; perhaps I can also sell my portapotty and obtain one of these. Meanwhile, the bags ought to help out.
Bruce Woods

csugg

crazycarl

ches,

this product is available at our local ace hardware

cc
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

HideAway

I decided early on that I would not be lugging a porta pottie about.  Instead I bought the 5 gallon version and set it up for deck pump out.  The only issue after years of use has been trying to find a pump out station when on a cruise.   I also built a vanity with sink and water pump to address sanitary concerns.   We sleep on the settees in the main cabin, using the v berth area for storage and head.  HideAway s decor is more work boat than yacht.

Here s my latest video about the v berth area.      http://youtu.be/qbeefxn05G4
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

BruceW

Cool video; I haven't done anything to the v-berth, except put stuff in there, haha. I missed the original reason you have a through hull there. Was it there just for the sink? I don't have anything up there. My sink is just below companionway; it holds tools now. I have a through hull below the port side of the boat for that drain. I was thinking of just glassing it up.

Now, about that area below the rug, where you added the cut: how much space is under there? Maybe that would be a good storage area for something. My main issue with all the storage areas is having to move the cushions to get to them. I might like to look some more on the site, see about some other way to deal with that. Or, I could cave in and just put stuff in the v-berth, haha.

Also, the bilge area I have looks hard to get to, back under the port side.

Bruce Woods

HideAway

The original purpose of that thru hull was to pump the head over board when such things were legal.  You can still do that on your boat if you go more than three miles off shore - otherwise known as  the S cruise.   Not a good solution, especially if you don t have a ocean nearby.  The thru hull diameter is larger than necessary for draining a sink but I have no interest in putting in a new thru hull. 

I m not sure what your reference to the carpet is but there is a lot of storage space under  both berths near the bulkhead.  Less under the settees in the main cabin.  We have access panels on all areas and store things that aren t used often but are needful.  We have an egg crate full of stuff and tool box always handy on top of the v berth.   

The best way to access the bilge is to remove the  settee cushion so you have more clearance to crawl to the bilge.  There is minimal access from the cockpit.    The bilge is very deep.  You don t need to access it often- perhaps just to see if it is dry.
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

BruceW

Thanks.

In my boat the cabin sole is wood (plywood, probably) until the point where the V-berth starts. That floor is covered with carpet in my boat.  I was just wondering if there was something worth getting to below that. Today, I looked further into the area below the v berth bow-wards of the porta potty, and I saw another storage area I hadn't seen before; it has a large water jug in it. I don't know what that's about.

Anyway, if I figure out where to put stuff, and put it there, then I won't have as much on top of the cushions so I can raise them to look in the storage areas. !!!

Bruce Woods