a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

mercury 5 hp 4 stroke

Started by kickingbug1, April 25, 2014, 04:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i did buy the boat and the mercury. well all i can say is that it started on the 2nd pull, after it warmed up for a bit it idled smoothly and went in and out of gear without dying. but of course it hasnt had to push the boat for me yet. i will probably sell it while it still works good and get something smaller and lighter maybe a 3 hp yamaha. that merc is heavy
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

Kick--A belated congratulations on the new boat!   It will be fun to see what you end up keeping once you've had a chance to sail the new one.
As for the outboard...be diligent about draining the fuel after each sail and cleaning the carb each season. And keep an extra spark plug and wrench aboard!

These new 4 strokes are not as reliable as your cruise and carry.  Those carb jets are tiny and will clog if you blow off maintenance.  Been there, done that!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

yeah now all i have to do is to figure out how to step the mast. someone once advised me to keep the 16 for trailer sailing. i may have bitten off more than i can chew but this is one very nice well equipped and near perfect bugger. ill do my best to figure it out even if it take a ginpole and winch (which it might). two sailboats in one garage. hey maybe im a "collector"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"