a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

mercury 5 hp 4 stroke

Started by kickingbug1, April 25, 2014, 04:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

does anyone have experience with small mercury 4 stroke outboards, specifically the 5 hp model? i understand that it is made by tohatsu. i have read some rather scathing reviews. the motor is a 2009 bought new by the seller of a boat i am considering and has only 10 hrs on it. also since i am transporting this boat about 500 miles i will probably lay the motor down in the bed of my truck. is this advisable?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

brackish

i will probably lay the motor down in the bed of my truck. is this advisable?

It's acceptable but check the manual to determine which side goes down.  Both my Suzuki and my Tohatsu require that you lay the motor tiller side down. 

nies

I had one and thought it was to heavy for my 16, got rid of it and replaced with a 2 cycle, the break in takes forever and hard to get the hours of running when using on a sailboat...................if only 10 hours its probably not broke in...............in transporting and storing they have to be layed right or oil runs out and engine will burn up, the maintance is like serving your car....can not remember how to lay it down so you do not wreck engine ............ I hated it................nies

wes

Hi Kick - yup, that's my motor. Mine is old (1999) and although I have spoken ill of it in the past, it generally runs well. The trick seems to be to do no maintenance other than oil changes. Every time my conscience starts bothering me and I take it to the shop for spark plugs, bottom lube, tuneup or whatever, I always regret it, and spend weeks trying to get it to run reliably again.

The main culprit seems to be those wee tiny carb jets. The slightest particle of debris in your fuel will put an end to your fun day out on the water. Maybe all small outboards are like that, I dunno.

No problem laying it down for transport. The tiller side goes down (counterintuitive but true). Mine has a tendency to leak water or fuel into the oil when transported, so I generally do an oil change afterwards to be safe.

I have one final word for you: "Torqueedo."

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

kickingbug1

i tried to talk the owner into keeping the motor and lowering the price. he must want the motor to go with the boat cause he wouldnt lower it any more than 400. i have pretty much decided to sell it when i get home. im more of a two stroke (old school) guy anyway. its probably fine with just 10 hours on it but i have had two strokes that required almost no care and werent particular about fuel quality. my wife did say no more old air cooled "cruise and carry"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

jb

bought the Nissan version of the same motor and used it for 10 years on my 22 ft Alberg. Solid motor, no maintenance issues other than replacing the impeller once. The only issue for me was the  heavy weight. When storing on it side, usually the throttle arm is on the top.

j

wes

The owner's manual for this motor specifically calls for the tiller arm to be on the bottom.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Gerry

Merc, Tohatsu, and Nisson are exactly the same small motors with different labels.  Merc is more expensive because of brand names.  They are easy to maintain and work fine if: stored properly, use only ethanol free gas, buy an owners manual follow.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

MacGyver

There is typically a sticker that says THIS SIDE UP.

I would keep that motor and Call me (since I am so close to you anyway) if you have any issues. Mercs are usually pretty good, but as with anything there can be lemons out there.
From my understanding they are not all the same motors, they have suttle differences that the manufacturers want done to make them theirs, but that they are made by the same factory, which happens to be Tohatsu.
My mariner was a yamaha engine, and the part numbers on the engine showed that...... Kinda like how Ford had with the Courier trucks back in the day, sometimes they came out with Mazda parts...... oops......

Mac (I love Ford, dont think I am hating on them.....)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Kick, like you, I'm a fan of the two-strokes. Of the few of each type I've had, they just run better, way smoother and more reliable than 4strokes.
If they will only discount it $400, buy it with the motor for sure. If you end up selling it, it's worth way more than that.

It will need more care and feeding in the carb and spark plug departments than your cruise and carry and the 2 strokes, but as along as you are vigilant shouldn't have problems.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

crazycarl

kick,

listen to jason.

you know how much trouble i had with my tohatsu 4 stroke.

jason worked his magic on it and last week it started on the 1st pull after a  l o n g  winter storage.

my '66 chrysler, 2 stroke air cooled, long shaft 3 1/2hp o/b with 7 year old gas in the tank, also started on the 1st pull!

if anyone is looking for a long shaft 2 stroke 3 1/2 hp o/b containing 7 year old fuel, that has always been reliable, it's for sale!

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

Carl,

I appreciate the vote of confidence, and I am glad that it has worked well for you.

It is always a good start to the year when the engine starts off without a hitch. Ours started off with 3rd pull because I forgot my engine has a choke. Our engines at work are automatic choke, which I dislike. I like more of the manual things, seem easier to tinker with for my mind.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

Off topic.

The 5 hp two cycle Mercury O/B now run's wonderfully now that the fuel delivery problem is cured and no gasohol in introduced into the thing. The pull start and manual choke are just fine.

Why foul up things with wet oil sumps and oil pumps, valves, valve seats, valve cams, and valve trains, a heavier engine and all that rot? 

skip.

brackish

Why foul up things with wet oil sumps and oil pumps, valves, valve seats, valve cams, and valve trains, a heavier engine and all that rot?

Maybe because you can't get them anymore?  Does anyone even make a small HP 2 cycle anymore?

JBC

I've owned four Mercury four-strokes: two 5hp, one 4hp (bought new) and one 3.5hp.  All but the 3.5 were unreliable (tending to die at critical moments, even the new motor while breaking in).  Replaced a fuel pump on one of the 5hp motors, did carb work on two others, but never touched the 3.5 which, from the reviews out there, seems to have the worst reputation of all of the small 4-stroke Mercs.  It worked without a hitch until I sold it with a previous CP16.  Go figure.

I currently have a 2 1/2 Suzuki 4-stroke which works reliably no matter what I manage to do to it, and is the lightest of the bunch I've owned.  I just don't like its tiny fuel capacity, requiring sometimes a refill out on the water if tooting around for too long.  But I keep it because it always works without fuss, winterizing or worries about gas additives.

Jett