a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sewing Machine Tips and maintenance

Started by MacGyver, April 11, 2014, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

So I dont have pictures, because sailrite has a excellent series on all sorts of things dealing with sewing machines that are easily searched for and watched. I highly recommend them as refreshers and as reference, or as a learning tool.
BUT, I just learned a few things that I didnt really know by watching my dvd that came with my sewing machine when I bought it a while ago........also being several big projects ago.....

Needle: Did you know that you should change your needle often? They arent that expensive and can be the cause of many issues with stitch quality and not only is having a sharp or proper needle key, but the size as well! as a rule of thumb, you should change your needle every big project, or when done with heavy or odd fabrics.

Machine: did you know that the machine needs oiled every 6 months or so? It would be good to oil it before big projects so that the machine can run smoothly and efficiently. Not to mention retaining the longevity of the machine.

I just ran through mine, and I will sew again with it tomorrow. I have done no maintenance since I got the machine, and have made a Jib bag, Mainsail cover, winch covers (2 sets..... I messed up on the first....) a bunch of test runs and practice crap..... A line bag, interior tooling holder, Motor cover, and some small port hole covers, then started cockpit cushions...... ALL WITH THE SAME NEEDLE AND NEVER OILED>...... LMAO

So, learn from me.....your machine will love you for it...... and so will your projects.

I will report back tomorrow sometime as to how my machine ran in comparison to prior to the work.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

capt_nemo

Mac,

Glad to read of someone else who sews and apparently enjoys it.

I've made 7 sails for my two sailboats along with a few other items as well, and really enjoy designing and sewing things myself.

Now hurry up and change that needle and grab the oil bottle (ha ha).

capt. nemo

Saluki86

What models of Sailrite did you get?  What features are the most important?

I entertained the idea of making cushions for my C16.  Mac after reading your list, a motor cover, tiller cover, etc may be nice too and I had not thought of them.

I believe sails would be past my own desire but the smaller stuff I could see my self doing.

MacGyver

I will start first with why I bought a SailRite machine....... Their service is top notch, as a matter of fact, it is so good, I wish all companies were like them.
I bought the LSZ-1. After a lot of checking out of machines including the machine from Defender (Barracuda) I rested with getting a Sailrite machine due to some reviews and differences of the machines.

Sailrite has videos about their machines and such, I suggest watching them. They also make free videos that I watch ALOT........ Helps me to get the mind set when starting a project and such.
My home machine made the tiller cover, a simple project, but it made a lot of mean noises doing it........ it also made my lifeline cushions as well, which they too made my machine punch hard..... My sailrite machine acts like nothing is there and also punches through whatever I throw at it. The parts are simple to replace and they help you to understand the machine and do alll of it yourself. I am a mechanical guy, so I see how it works, but if you arent that way, they have videos to help on repairs.

The decision you have to make on their machines is which stitch do you plan to make? Straight stitch which is probably just canvas projects and such, or the zig zag which is more for sails and sail making.
The straight stitch machine, red in color, and cheaper than the zig zag machine, is a solid machine and has a lot less parts. It is called the LS model.
The LSZ1 has both straight stitch and zig zag. I bought it with the intent to maybe get into heavier things like sail repair and such. I have not used zig zag on any projects except to test. I am going to use it today for my sail bags. but you could double straight stitch the bags and be fine as well. It is all about the hems (which they have vids for as well :) )

Others can tell you about othe machines, I know several folks here use a assortment. I didnt have a sew shop nearby, and also wanted to be sure I had supply for parts and such, so another reason I bought SailRites machine.

I cant begin to tell you how relaxing and rewarding sewing is........ For me, it can be a lot of fun. The savings I have made has possibly paid for the machine, if not by now, It will have once my sails are done.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Aldebaran_III

Thumbs up for the Sailrite LSZ-1.
I bought one new about 14 years ago, it still runs as sweet as the first day.
The best feature for me is the walking foot, which feeds multiple layers through the machine without slipping or dragging.
The Sailrite videos are a great help whenever you need to do something new.
I have used mine for all kinds of things (even curtains for the house!). thoroughly recommended.

Cheers,
Derek

Ted

When I got my 19, it was trimmed with a rusty red color that neither the Admiral or I liked very much. Our last boat, a CP-16, was trimmed in navy blue and we really liked that. We didn't feel like we could switch to a new color scheme, though, because the sunstrip on the furled jib was in red.

So... in December I ripped the jib. Off to sailcare went the sails for reconditioning and repair. They called me with the news that they sunstrip really needed replacing and thus we got a new, navy blue sunstrip on the sails. They arrived here last Saturday and they look GREAT.

So the bimimi, sail cover and tiller handle needed to be sewn up in blue cloth. Truth be told, the old canvas was so bad I wasn't really using it much anyway.

The Admiral fired up the sewing machine and just finished up on these:

Sail Cover:

Bimini:

Bimini with snaps in place:

There's a tiller handle as well.

We used the old cloth for a pattern. If anybody wants it, PM me in the next two weeks or so and we can talk about you getting it. You will need a similar bimini frame, of course.

- Ted
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat