a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

handheld vhf radios

Started by mikkel, April 02, 2014, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkel

Looking for input on handheld vhf radios.......what do you use...what to look for....give me the skinny

Tadpole

Mikkel,

Like so many other things in life...it depends.  I have an older Humminbird  VHF55S that I've had for many years.  It runs on six AA batteries, although I'm considering getting a 12v adapter so I can run if off the boat battery.  Before I retired, my sailing trips were shorter in duration & the batteries would last for several trips. I'm sure you know that CG regulations require you to have your radio turned on if you have it on the boat.  My trips now can last several days...yes, probably time to hook up to the boat battery.

Having said all that, here is why I have this type of VHF radio:

I sail small inland lakes.  The radio works on line-of-sight.  The attached antenna works fine for me.

I have to navigate under lots of bridges, especially on lake Eufaula.  With a 21' mast height above the water, I can barley clear some of them.  Since I don't seem to need the extra range, I've opted not to install a masthead antenna with it's extra height.

I navigate a lot of locks on the Arkansas river.  While a VHF is not absolutely necessary, they certainly make things easier.

I sail alone in some very remote waters and generally during the week.  It's good to know I can contact a fellow boater or the lake patrol if I need help.  Cell phones are great, but they can't replace a VHF radio.  There are lots of good articles that tout the advantages of VHF vs. cell phones...no need for me to elaborate here.

Everyone's situation is different, but for me, my little handheld works fine.

Tadpole

crazycarl

i have a permanent mount vhf and a handheld.

the base is good for long distances when i'm reserving a slip or such.

the handheld is nice because it stays with me in the cockpit. (easy access)

i use the handheld way more then the base unit.

the handheld is a cheapo midland i paid $50 for at bass pro.  it came with a rechargeable battery, can also use AA batteries, a mount to hold it in place, a charger, and an earphone.  it has 10 NOAA weather channels, and it can be switched from 2 watts (inside or close to a harbor or other boats) or 5 watts (greater range)  it also has been immersed in salt water and still operates. 

the rechargeable battery will easily last 1-2 days if left on all day while sailing.

some of the more expensive models have a removable antenna.  unscrew it and you can attach a cable and mast mounted
antenna for greater range.  they also automatically turn on for adverse weather reports.

i bought the cheap one because it's really a back up to the base, and i can take into the dingy and keep in contact with the "mother ship" or if something horrible went wrong and i needed to abandon ship.

cc

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

We have a portable HX300 by Standard Horizon.

At work we use portables to talk and such, so I have had a ton of them. I really like this brand, and it floats and has lights that are water activated. It is rechargable, but I bought the battery optional case as well, so that I can use alkalines if needed.
It has worked well for us, I am not so sure about range though......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

hinmo

I had a junk WM. It got maybe 1/4 mile range. Obviously it was the cheapest model....possibly not a good sample

atrometer

I had a West Marine w/ rechargeable battery and battery case - found out on the rechargeable is was 6 watts, battery pak was 3 = disappointing.  It's gone!

mikew

Mik, both STANDARD and ICOM have won radio awards from NMEA ( National Marine Electronics Association ), ICOM also makes commercial
2-way radios. An important feature to look for is the waterproofing, some models are only "splashproof" and others are now Submersible or rated to Float. All the portables will have the power output to the antenna at 1 or 5 watts. Most have a scan feature on receive and all can get the NOAA weather channels. There is a kind of band plan; channel 16 as an emergency and calling channel, 13 for bridges and locks, 68 and 72 for boat to boat. So it really depends on how much money you want to spend for the quality and features you need.

Mike  

Bob23

On my 23, I have an ICOM stationary with antenna on top of the mast. Last time I checked it with a radio check, it reached about 10 miles. Probably would go further but that's where the first reply came from. I also bought thier Command Mike so I could use the radio from the cockpit.
Don't remember the model #. This has been a great radio so far and for the most part, ICOM has a great reputation.
   I also have a Standard Horizon portable which is a standby and used while I row. Rechargable pack and also a 4AA battery pack. I also don't remember the model #. I really haven't had to use this but this thread has reminded me that I don't really know what the range is. I guess I should try it out next time I'm out rowing in water that's cold enough to kill me.
   I also had a WM handheld quite a while back that was a disappointment. Gave it to my son who hasn't had his Irwin Freespirit sailboat in the water in 4 years so it's probably lost...no great loss to the VHF world.
   I'm gonna get a radio check on the handheld this weekend while out on the water and I'll post it back here.
Bob23

BruceW

I first had a Shakespeare which was pretty good, but all my friends had ICOMs that worked better, longer, etc, so when the battery on the Shake got to where it wouldn't hold a charge after many years, I got an ICON. I have hardly used it; nobody to call on the lakes. I still think it's a great radio, better waterproofing,etc. I will be having it on all the time for weather, etc now I am on the Neuse.

Guess I better get a boat name for when I need to use it. Heck, now I see how others know what their radio does, I better learn mine a bit better.

Seriously, this brand works the best of any that a whole group of friends of mine have had. Wish I was a better recommender.

I have thought about putting a base antenna on my boat. There's a fitting for a stern mount. I think the top of mast is better, but I am not ready to take the mast down to put it on until I finish my trailer.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Gerry

I use a "Uniden Mh5125.  Rechareable, inexpensive, works well.  Bought on-line.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

skip1930

Uniden ?? been working since 1999 ... It's all line of site. That antenna needs to be atop the mast [CP-19 top`O-mast to waterline 25 foot. Add 30 inches for antenna. That's good for only about 16 or so miles depending on the curvature of the earth.]

I know I made 12 miles because a 1000 footer answered my call. Said I was a 'good hit in his 12 mile ring'. I'm guessing he picked up my tubular radar reflector on my spreader.

skip.

brackish

I have a Standard Horizon fixed unit with a mast head antenna.  In the almost five years since I installed it I've used it, let's see, zero times.:)  I did do a radio check when first installed, it works fine.  The antenna makes a good place for the wind indicator to spin on.