a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

If you are interested in trolling motors for your Com-Pac

Started by Jobst, August 18, 2004, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobst

www.njtrollingmotors offers reconditioned MinnKota trolling motors at a reasonable discount off new price - AND - they even have the saltwater rated variety.  The motors come with a one year nationwide Factory warranty.

I've bought a 55 pound thrust model (RT55/S with 42 inch shaft) to use on my CP16CB - they claimed 20 available - hope it works out

Jobst

I tested the motor today - in live mode.  No wind and a lake with no current.

Running on a group 24 battery that was not fully charged - motor was more than enough power to move the Com-Pac 16 - setting was 10 to 25 percent of full thrust.  At full thrust, it was almost like having an outboard.

This is a reconditioned Minnkota RT-55/S model (salt water version) with a 42 inch shaft - (excessive - the 36 inch shaft would work just as well).  The only trouble was that the clamps are too close together and hit the height adjuster on the motor mount - I'll have to play with that a bit to come up with a solution.

Craig

Jobst,

How long would a group 24 charge last with your trolling moter?

Craig

Jobst

give about 2 hours service at 50% of full thrust with that motor.

My plan is to eventually have two group 27 batteries mounted and a generator to recharge while underway.

David Olson

That is the size / model I have.  Works great for me.  (Inland lake)

The only caveat I would mention.  In a 25+ breaze, I can not make headway - only keep pointing into the wind.

When I go to larger water (i.e. Lake Superior) I have a small 2.5 hp Merc, and the electric is stored below as backup.

Dan Hill

I use a Minnkota Endura 50.  Nice, quiet, cheap, and pushes the boat just fine.  Can't beat that.  I altenate between two batteries: one on the charger, one on the boat. (Outboard in the picture belongs to the previous owner)

ka8uet

Has anyone tried a trolling motor on a 23 Compac?  My outboard was stolen during the winter, and I'm thinking about either an electric outboard, ($$$$!!) or trolling motor as a replacement.  I've never been able to gather the strength to reliably pull start my outboard ( or a lownmower, for that matter!), and getting older hasn't helped!  Besides, I like the idea of no gas and minimized carbon footprint.