a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bent Trailer Tongue

Started by Tadpole, March 03, 2014, 01:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tadpole

I didn't realize this was such a common problem until I started searching the forum.  Anyhow, this will be a dual purpose post.  I'm obviously looking for suggestions, plus I want to try including a picture with the post.  I guess we'll see if this works.???

The only thing wrong with my new (to me) C-16 was a bent trailer tongue.  I picked the boat up in Alabama and trailered her home to Oklahoma.  She trailered just fine...however, I do want to fix the tongue.  I don't have any boat or trailer facilities around here, so would like to do the job myself.  I thought about taking the tongue off the trailer, filling it with sand, and bending it back in shape with a bottle jack.  This would keep it from kinking.  Can it be done simpler?  All suggestions welcome.

Tadpole
[img]

Tadpole

This should work...famous last words!

MacGyver

With safety in mind I wouldnt try to rebend, most likely that wont turn out well....
IF it was my trailer, (I deal with metal a lot and am AWS certified welding multiple forms) I would order the same size tubing from a online provider and then match the parts and drill the holes to be the same, and install a new part.

You can get galvanized steel from sources online that would work. Also you could get a piece of steel from a weld shop and just prime and paint it as well.

Without heat i dont think youll get it to bend properly without messing it up. The molecules would need relaxed  then bend it back then allow it to cool slow to maintain the shape. during this process you will cook off the coating, and that coating last I heard is dangerous to your health.

Mac (Just my opinion!)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

Wow, I think it looks just fine. :)  Seriously, if it is tracking straight and trailering OK I'm not sure I would mess with it.  If you cold bend it packed with sand and you don't have a fitted outside mandrel, it still may kink on you.  And getting it to yield at just the right point at just the right place to avoid a Z shape is tricky.  If you hot bend it you will ruin the galvanize coating and your options for replacing are not that great.  Plus heating up that galvanized material gives off some seriously sickening fumes. 

This coming from a former ASME code welder, certified (at one time) in five positions and four processes.  And one who early in that career had to cut and weld galvanized ladders, walkways, bar grating and handrails for offshore platforms.  Believe me, I never want to breathe that stuff again. :o

Where are you in Oklahoma?  When I lived in Sand Springs, there was weld shop or trailer place on every other corner, most of them supporting the Oil and Gas business.

BTW I used several emoticons in this post.  Are they showing up properly?  they are not on mine, and I wonder what I did to cause that?

skip1930

Sh*t that's not hardly anything.
Heat and beat is one way to knock out the kink. I would not do it.

I'd consider strong backing the tube and C-clamping that itsy bitty kink out of it. May have to use a 1/2 thick spacer block to max the bend so when the C-clamps are relaxed she'll ease back to a straight tube.

Unbolt the hitch, and jack. Pull the whole tube out of the tongue out of the tube.

Go find a sturdy tree with a vee in it. Place the kink in the vee area and put the hurt to the tube.
Work the kink out by pushing, leaning, jumping on it. It will move. It's just mild steel.

Or once the tongue is denuded of components, flip around and stick it back into the tube until the kink won't let it go any further. Put the hurt to it and work out the kink. When the slide is good the kink is gone.

If your lucky the tongue will slide into a standard 2 inch Reese [sp] receiver on the back of some truck.
Stick it in their and work the kink out of the tube. Chances are that not enough tube will go into the receiver and then it's back to the tree or trailer.

This is how bent extruded masts are straightened too. "In the vee take a walk", walk out the kink. Go sailing. We had to do this for some 40 foot something when the semi delivering the boat on a flat bed ran the mast sticking out from the trailer into something. A couple of guys ... a little grunt work and we had her done before the hull was off the flatbed.

It might help to slide a 10 foot schedule 80 round tube over the square tongue for leverage. Won't need much 'grunt' then.

The other way is to hack saw a slit part way down the kink, grind a vee and gently pull it back and wire weld it closed again. This will screw up the galvanized coating and poison you ... do it outside and don't breath the smoke. Fill the vee and grind the weld. Put a second bead on there or if your stick welding first pass a 'hot rod' second pass just a standard rod.

Ain't no big deal. I'd bend her cold, without cutting or welding or painting.

This ain't rocket science. skip.

Tadpole

Thanks for your comments.  I'm familiar enough with all of you to value your opinions. I'm an old time handyman... I'm used to fixing things myself...it's in my blood.  HOWEVER, all things considered, I think I'll go the "no cold bending" route.  I'm also a welder, although not as qualified as you guys.  Just qualified enough to not want to heat up or weld galvanized tubing. 

Sometimes just talking about a project helps clarify it in your mind.  Based on the comments, I think I'll use the trailer "as is" for the season, and make a new trailer tongue as a winter project for next year.  That way, as long as I'm buying tubing,  I can include a 4' or 5' tongue extension in the project.

Is this a great forum or what?!!

Brackish:  I live in southeast Oklahoma...not far from the Arkansas border.  Tulsa is a 200 mile round trip for me...probably have to make the trip twice.  Doable, but not desirable.  Fort Smith probably has someone to fix the trailer, but now that I've made the decision to make a new tongue, I'd just as soon do it myself.

The emoticons show up fine in your message...don't know why you can't see them.

Tadpole

skip1930

One thing. I have the trailer that has an extending tongue.

If you buy new tube to slide into the trailer, the slider will eventually hit the leading edge of the keel, so there is no percentage in making the tongue too much longer as then the ball hitch is too far forward and things, when stretched out there that far tend to get a little like spaghetti and wobble or tend to sag or bend.

Just my two cents. Bend her cold by using a strong back.

skip.

Bob23

Look at it this way: It's a great conversation starter! Leave it alone and fix in winter... course of action.
No emoticons viewable here either.
Bob23

Tadpole

Bob23,

I'll drink to that!  I hate to admit it, but as I've gotten older my procrastination skills have improved dramatically.  Waiting until next winter definitely sounds like a good action plan.

Tadpole