a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchoring Overnight CLOSE to shore

Started by atrometer, February 19, 2014, 10:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

The West Coast Trailer Sailor Squadron visits islands for over nighting+.  Many boats have 3/4" draft and beach their boats.  With a 18" draft on the CP 16 I would like to stay in about 2.5' of water and walk to shore BUT I would somehow like to disembark in 1.5' of water and allow the boat to somehow move to deeper water.  Then pull her back in when re boarding.  Any suggestions?

skip1930

Toss the smaller 'lunch anchor/ground tackle' on the beach, run your 100 foot line from the anchor to the boat and back to the beach. Pull the boat in, let the boat back out. You do carry a extra 100 of line right? Can't have enough line.

I parked my CP-19 just 10 foot off Green Island in The Bay of Green Bay.

It was so cool ... the wind was right parallel with the beach and I dropped and set the hook after playing out about 60 foot of anchor line.
She sat beautifully all night long.
The wind never varied a bit.
I set my boom tent and had a wonderful home made spaghetti meal under the tent without annoying dew wetting everything.
The stars that night were spectacular.
I kept the O/B in the water in case I needed to drive away from the beach ... just in case.
I Davis anchor light [once I through the master 'power on' switch] burned all night and winked off at day break.
It's the best sleep ever.

The neat thing about Green Island is ten foot off the beach it's 12 foot deep. But it's all small round rocks. A great night. No need to tuck in behind the island. Next morning over to Marinette-Menominee for a shower.

[Here is an old shot of 'our' CP-19 flotilla at anchor at Green Island.]

skip.

Pacman

Quote from: atrometer on February 19, 2014, 10:16:19 PM
With a 18" draft on the CP 16 I would like to stay in about 2.5' of water and walk to shore BUT I would somehow like to disembark in 1.5' of water and allow the boat to somehow move to deeper water.  Then pull her back in when re boarding.  Any suggestions?

You could use my lazy "loop" method for near shore anchoring:

First, attach a block to the anchor shackle.

Lead a line from the bow cleat through the block on the anchor and back to the boat.

Set the anchor in the water at about 3' depth.

Row, motor, or pole the boat into shallow water.

Step off and wade ashore, carrying the line to shore.

Set a second anchor on the beach with a block attached to the shackle.

Then lead the line through the block on the shoreside anchor and back to the boat and secure it  on a stern cleat.

When you pull on one side the boat will be pulled out toward the anchor.

When the boat is in the desired position, tie off the loop on the beachside anchor.

In the morning, simply pull on the other end of the loop and pull the boat toward shore so you can board in shallow water.

Sorry about the poor explanation.  It is really simple, just hard for me to explain.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

atrometer

Is there chain on the anchor in the water.  See if I got this.  A line is tied to the bow cleat, run through the block that's fastened to the anchor chain going in 3' of water - continue with the loose end ashore and through the block on that anchor and back to the stern cleat of the boat.  If I pull on one side of the loop, the boat will go out, but if I pull on the other side it will come in. I think I got it and like it!!!   THANKS!

Pacman

Quote from: atrometer on February 21, 2014, 12:57:37 AM
Is there chain on the anchor in the water.  See if I got this.  A line is tied to the bow cleat, run through the block that's fastened to the anchor chain going in 3' of water - continue with the loose end ashore and through the block on that anchor and back to the stern cleat of the boat.  If I pull on one side of the loop, the boat will go out, but if I pull on the other side it will come in. I think I got it and like it!!!   THANKS!

I just attached the block to the anchor shank.

My rationale is that the two main reasons for using chain is to weight the anchor rode so the pull will be parallel to the bottom and to protect the rope from abrasion on the sea bottom as a boat swings at anchor. 

In this set up the pull is already parallel to the sea bottom due to the shallow water and the boat does not swing and the sandy bottoms are not too hard on anchor line.

Just remember to make allowance for tide changes so you will still be floating in the morning.

Have fun with the WCTSA.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

atrometer

mikew

August, just read your thread- I enjoy anchoring out on the Cp-16 for an overnight. When I come into a sheltered cove I drop my heavier overnite anchor , an 8 lb danforth with 3' of chain in about 2' of water and let out some scope.  I have dinner, put things away and prep the boat for overnight. I then move the boat into DEEPER water. I let out about 7 to 1 scope, let the boat drift back and tie the rode off. I get out the swim ladder, life jacket on and jump over and set the anchor by HAND ( pulling back hard) making sure I am happy where the boat is located and set.  I also tie off the anchor line again to the mast stub , just in case the bow cleat knot works loose.  Some things to watch out for- tide depth during the night so your keel doesn't bottom out, also with 7: 1 scope  make sure if the wind changes your boat doesn't swing into shallow water. I tie back the halyards and the tiller so things don't go bump in the night and drive you nuts.  As night falls I turn the anchor light on if needed and note the location of any land based lights. The boat may swing on the anchor during the night but your checking the bearings of these lights for major changes to see if the anchor drags. Now you can sleep peacefully.
Mike