a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

eclipse model year changes?

Started by alsantini, February 07, 2014, 11:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hello everyone.  I am beginning to get in the market for an Eclipse and have a couple of questions?  I think the Eclipse first came into the market in 2004.  Are there differences in different model years?  Should I avoid a specific year, or zero in on a specific year.  Second: I see various engine hp's listed.  I currently have a precision 21 which is about the same weight as the Eclipse, and have a 4 hp 4 stroke which has been plenty of power.  We used to say 2 hp per 1000 lbs.  One of the Eclipse that is for sale has a 9.9hp?  Is this as much of an overkill as I think or does this hull design require more hp?  Thanks in advance and soon I hope to be on this board as an owner rather than a visitor.  Al  :)

Craig

The Eclipse has a similar hull form and weight as the Horizon Cat(2200 lb vs 2500 for the HC). The Precision may have a little more "slippery" hull. Our HC has a 14 hp diesel and could be considered a bit over-powered but it is nice to get to hull speed without a lot of RPMs. I think Rahn has a 9.9 on his HC and seems good with it.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

BruceW

I'd be surprised if you need any more than a 5 hp; the eclipse is based on the CP 19, which goes great with a 5.

A lot of people get the 9.9 because it can come with electric start.

Good luck in your evaluation, Al
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Eagleye

Al,
When I was doing my research for an Eclipse I didn't notice any major changes through the years.  I had the opportunity to speak with Tyler Hutchins at a boat show 2 years ago and at that time he indicated that there were only 65 Eclipse's made.  I know that there are still some used models out there but it may be a challenge finding one near you.  Where are you located?

The 06 Eclipse I purchased came with a 6hp Yamaha and that has proven to be more than sufficient. 

Best of Luck on Your Search,
-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

alsantini

Hello all and thanks for the info.  Allan, I live west of Chicago 9 months a year and in SW Florida for the winter.  I sail on Pistakee Lake with my Precision 21 and race at Lake Summerset on the weekends with my MCScow.  I have located two boats that I am interested in.  One is in Michigan and the other is in Kansas City.  Neither is too far away to be considered.  Once I get back in Illinois, I will probably look at both.  Anyother information on the Eclipse that you have is greatly appreciated.  Al :)

Vectordirector

Al,

My boat came with a 6hp Suzuki 4 stroke.  It seems to be more than adequate and really sips gas. I only used 2 gallons last season.  I believe as has been said before that people upgrade to the 9.9s to get electric start and/or battery charging ability.  By the way, the last time I looked at their web site, Gulf Isle Sails/Punta Gorda Yacht Brokers had a 2005 Eclipse just like mine for sale on their lot.  I think they were asking around $16k.  Looked like a nicely equipped boat in good shape. Go check it out.   

Also, I'm seriously looking at retiring and heading down to Southwest Florida sometime soon.  I can't take these winters any more.  Looking at Punta Gorda Isles, South Gulf Cove areas with sailboat access canal pool homes.  Seems like $300k minimum, which is do-able.  Any idea about the real estate the market down there?  Are prices firm?  Have any real estate agents you can recommend?

Have you ever flown Allegiant from RFD to PGD?  Prices seem much more reasonable than UAL or AAL. Also the drive down- Is 20 hours realistic?  I'm thinking overnighting somewhere near Atlanta and then the long haul the rest of the way in one day.  Is this realistic?  I'd be towing the boat.  UGHH.   

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Punta Gorda Isles is a very nice area.  I have two sailing friends who live there.  One part time and one full time.  One sails a 30 something Morgan and the other a 26 Tarten.  I have sailed out of both of their houses and it is great.  About a 20 min run to Charlotte Harbor and then lots of water to sail.  I have no connections to a realtor down here and the prices are starting to climb so now may be a good time to look and jump in.  I know if I did not come down here, I would go crazy with the winter - especially this year.  What do you do and where do you live?  I am a retired automotive teacher.  Taught at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, IL    Al   alsantini@comcast.net

Vectordirector

Al,

I'll have 30 years as an Air Traffic Controller in March. I am a Radar Approach Controller and I have worked at Chicago Radar Approach Control in Elgin since 1991. Before transferring here, I worked 7 years at MCI, Kansas City International Tower. We live in the Village of Lakewood, just west of Crystal Lake.   
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Craig

Amen to all of the above. We moved to PG/PC two years ago from central NY and love the area. One of the prime attractions for us is that we have convenience and access without the crowding and traffic found in the Cape Coral/Ft Myers area. We chose a house on a lake and keep our boat at Laishley Marina about 10 min from the house. You can expect to pay at least $100000.00 more for a comparable house in Punta Gorda Isles on sailboat water. Also be aware that some inner canal locations can require some time to get to open water(think maze!). We are at 26 ft above sea level and off the coastal flood zone here in Deep Creek. There are some desirable canal lots on the PC side of the river. You will of course give up the privilege of paying Punta Gorda city taxes! I think once your wife spends some time here her desire to stay in Chicago will lessen. SW Fl is a great place to live! We have never looked back and love the PG lifestyle! ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL