a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Meet Shark Bait

Started by Sterling, February 02, 2014, 07:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterling

I've posted a few photos of her already, but I would like to officially introduce Shark Bait to you.  She is a 1976 Com-Pac 16 series One.  I have a 5hp Mariner on the back and although I own both original sails, the main we use is fairly new and the jib you see in this photo was purchased for a dingy and never used.  It's undersized, but I'm heading over to Hutchins soon to get a new jib.  The original sails are very soft and could use to be reconditioned, which is something I'm also considering doing.

I've lived on the water most of my life and have always enjoyed fishing, boating, swimming, anything water related pretty much.  This is the first sailboat I've owned and I love it.  I've sailed other small sailboats, but they belonged to other people.  I like small boats.  I have two Hobie sailing kayaks that I use all of the time and really enjoy them as well.  I have a small powerboat that I hardly ever use because I don't care for the drone of a motor.  I like the peace and quiet of sailing and kayaking, besides I don't enjoy motoring around in a powerboat, It's just not for me.  I suppose most of you would say the same.  I need a motor to get out from the finger inlet that I live on, but then I turn that sucker off!

This forum is a great place to learn and share with other Com-Pac owners.  I've been checking it almost daily since getting my boat.  Lots of great stuff on here.  I'd like to say thank you for everyone involved in paying, maintaining and moderating this forum.  It's really great!

Here are a couple of photos of Shark Bait that I snapped today while stopping off at a sandbar before heading off into the Gulf.  I'm not rubbing it in with our northern US neighbors, who have been experiencing a terribly cold winter, when I say that today was absolutely gorgeous here today.  Temps in the seventies, blues skies and calm water made for ideal conditions.  We just finished with cold and rain for five days straight, so this weekend was a nice break.

Thank you again for a great forum! :)

guync5

Looks great.  have a 1989 CP-16/2. Was the B-top on it when you bought it? or did you put it on? I wanted one for mine but I don't know what size would fit.

Sterling

Thank you.  The bimini came with the boat, but I had to mess with it for a while to get it to fit under the boom.  It's still a close fit, so I'm thinking about cutting an inch or two off the tubing. 

It's kind of a must have for the Florida sun.  Even on a day like today, it was great having some shade.  It was hot in the sun. 

I wish I could tell you more about it, but I don't know how old it is or where it was purchased from.  It's definitely not original though.

hinmo

Boat looks in great shape for a '76.

I also would like to know more about the bimini...the older I get, the less I like sitting for long periods in the sun. Anyone else have a bimini and know where to get a pre-fit one?

kahpho

I really like the picture. Well done.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Sterling

16MAUI

Looks great, I'm a new Com-Pac 16 owner as well, an older one like yours (1977)...I cant wait to put mine in the water. Inspiring photos! And your Bimini looks like it was factory styled. Does the bimini seem like it gets in the way when you're sailing?

atrometer

Very Nice!  Makes me jealous.  I recently bought a 1977 and am trying to get everything done to "make it mine", but the Bimini will have to wait. The I'll be sailing in the Gulf, too!  (Fort Myers, FL)

Cats Paw

Nice Boat and a great pics.   It sure does look like a shark just below the surface behind the rudder in the first pic.

Sterling

I do believe that was a small shark.  They are common through there.

The bimini is just barely below the boom when the sail is fully taught.  Having the shade is a trade off though because you can't just look up and see how the tell-tales are flying or what the main sail is doing.  Probably not an issue for some of you.  Not a big issue to me when there is good wind.  Much prefer the shade over full sun.