a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Carpet in the cabin

Started by Sterling, February 01, 2014, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterling

I've got carpet on the top and half way down the walls inside the cabin.  I'd like to remove it since it's not in great shape.  I'm assuming it would be as easy as yanking it off and then maybe some sanding and painting.  Has anyone done this?  Is it as easy as I'm thinking?  Thanks!

wes

You will find, unfortunately, that the fiberglass surface behind the carpet is rough and bumpy - not covered in beautiful smooth gelcoat like the outside of the boat. You could paint it, but my advice is to order replacement hull liner (it's actually not carpet - it doesn't have the stiff backing that carpet would have) from Hutchins and reglue it. Then you'll be set for another 30 years or so.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Sterling

Thanks for the information, Wes.  So it's an easy project removing the liner and perhaps the more challenging part is putting new liner back in?

MacGyver

Removal is tough, but not bad. Then for replacement on out 19 I bought from SailRite and got the tan color that matched the original, they have 3 colors.
On Sailrites site they have a video that is really helpful on that material. Watch that and you will be good to do the job.
I HIGHLY recommend a Carbon cartridge mask used for painting cars and such.... That was the only way to get the job done with all those fumes and such.........

I did buy my cans of adhesive from them as well.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Sterling

Thanks for the additional information, Mac.  That's very helpful.  I appreciate it guys.