a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP16 sails

Started by dontpanic, January 30, 2014, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

My (new to me) CP16 came with two sets of sails. One of the sets is clearly of lighter canvas than the other set.  I have no way of know what weight they are.

I don't know which set to use for ordinary sailing and not sure if it really matters.

Never had this problem before since only one set of sails came with my previous boats.  Good problem though.

It also came with a genoa.

Any thoughts on this out there?

Can't wait for spring.

DontPanic

wes

Assuming both sets are in similar condition (crispy, not limp and saggy), use the light ones when winds are light and the heavy ones when winds are strong.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

carry-on

If you want to know the weights and there is a reputable sail maker in your area, you could take the two jibs or mains to his/her shop. Seems to me , a good sail maker will get cloth weight within .5 ounces by feel and can also tell you the remaining life in the sail.
If you want to determine approximate weight on your own, you could get the total weight of each jib in ounces; and divide by the sail maker square yards. Not very exact because of hardware, headboard, double cloth at clew and tack and overlaps at seams. But you could deduct an equal amount for each sail.

www.challengesailcloth.com gives some info. For example a sail maker SY is 28.5 in x 36 in.=1026 sq. inches.

If your two jibs are standard, I think 43 SF for the 1981 model, you could weigh each and calculate the weight in ounces per sail maker square yard. 

Well, I've never done this experiment, but you might try it if you are in winter "lock down".

$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

nies

Check with Hutchins on weight of sails that came with the boat org.,willing to bet the lighter weight are the old sails and the heavier are newer replacements, I would use the heavier, try the mains and see which sail pulls better,......nies

dontpanic

Great responses. Time to do some further investigation.

Thanks