a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing my Com-Pac 16 again..

Started by Sterling, January 26, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterling

Not great weather today, Sunday01/26/14, in west central Florida.  Winds were calm, temperatures in the upper 60's and a front was making its way through.  But the sail must go on!  Better to be sailing than couch surfing, even if it means getting a little wet.

I used a Go-Pro camera mounted to the bow rail to make a short video of us sailing.  You can see the rain behind us.  An hour later it was raining, but we didn't rush to return home.  It's just too relaxing to be out in our Com-Pac in spite of the rain....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUqebhxscc&feature=c4-feed-u

nies

I must be missing something ,the fore stay is as lax as I have ever seen............just an observation......nies

wes

I think the GoPro's fisheye lens makes the forestay look slacker than it really is.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Citroen/Dave

Sterling,

Did you install the forward ports?  Were there any problems.  I did the same installation on my previous, a Rhodes, Picnic 17. I am considering the same modification for my CP16/2.  I really like forward visibility from the bunk at night. . . plus the refreshing breeze.  I turned the plates from the inside at night if the weather changed.  I  might prefer one or two CP19 ports for the 16.  Saltier and better control.  Has anyone else added forwards ports on a 16?

Citroen/Dave

'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Sterling

You're both right about the forestay.  I checked it and it's a little loose, but not as loose as it looks in the video.  The fisheye lens did exaggerate it.

Regarding the forward ports, no I did not install those.  They were on the boat when I purchased it.  We have had no trouble with them.

Thanks!

dontpanic

Sterling: I have never been much of a fan of sailing in the rain. Just curious, what type of rain gear do you use? Sounds like you were reasonably comfortable in spite of the rain.

I wish it was sailing weather here (Tallahassee), can't wait until spring gets here.

Sterling

I don't get cold easily, so the rain we had yesterday didn't bother me.  I was wet through, but was still enjoying myself.  My wife put on her Marmot rain jacket.  That's what we use, Marmot.  They make good jackets.  Most of the time our weather is warm, so I need nothing and the rain feels good to me.  I'm probably not the norm though.

Mike K

thanks for the video, it makes me long for the spring where I can sail my Legacy again.  We here in the north where the temps have been about 5-10F consistently are jealous!  But Im heading down to Charlotte Harbor in March for ASA 103,104 and 114 training class, so people will be jealous of me!

I may not want to go back North after that experience...
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

thomeng55

I am Jealous!  -3 here in Chicago today..

I was GREAT seeing you out sailing.  I am living my fantasy in your video at the moment.  Come on Spring!!!

I liked the idea of mounting the camera on the pulpit.  I'm going to try it this spring.

Sterling

It will be spring before we know it.  The wait for those of you in northern states, makes that first trip out even sweeter.  There are pros and cons to living anywhere.