a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

roller furling

Started by bsaulnier, August 18, 2004, 08:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsaulnier

Has anyone installed a roller furling system for their jib/genoa on a CP-19? My crew is tired of going forward to lower the jib before motoring back to the slip. I've suggested adding a downhaul but I've been "asked" to look into replacing the forestay with a furling rig. Any recommendations?

tks,

bill

Gil Weiss

I rigged up a jib down haul line on my CP16 and it works quite well. No reason it wouldn't work on a 19. There are details on rigging this up on the Precision Sailboat web site. It is very simple and very effective. On a windy day you may need to still tie down the jib to the rail, but most of the time this simple feature works fine on its own.

Shawn Morrow

Hi Bill.

My CP-19 has down haul that was installed by the previous owner.  Works good, but still occasionally calls for trip forward to tidy things up.  No experience with furlers, but Practical Sailor reviewed them just recently.  

Check out: http://www.practical-sailor.com/pub/30_16/features/4996-1.html

Good Luck!
Shawn

bsaulnier

Thanks for the replies Gil and Shawn!

At your suggestion I looked for a web page describing downhaul installation and it looks very simple and relatively inexpensive. I'll try that this weekend and see if it meets my wife's approval. :D

mgoller

Hi Bill,
Last summer I had a 16/II with a hank on jib, genoa and asymetrical spinnaker.  I had lots of fun choosing what to use.  Very soon I installed a downhaul and a chute system for the spinnaker.  I mostly single hand and my family doesn't enjoy being shouted at with orders about jibs, lines, cleats, tack and clew.  Everything worked well if I remembered to fasten the downhaul line within reach which I usually didn't.
This summer I have a CP 19 with roller furling.  I miss the well setting jib with its tight hanked on luff.  The partially deployed genoa just doesn't power the boat right.  It is easy and guests aboard aren't bothered by the usual scurrying around.  Coming back to port I just glide into the dock and pull the furling line.  I'll motor away from the dock and sometimes just pull the genoa out and sail with it alone, pull it back in and anchor for some fishing.  It is extremely easy.  
Here's how I would decide which is best.  If you usually sail with someone willing to help and you like exciting sailing, absolutely go with hank on and get a spinnaker.
If you single hand a lot and your passengers don't like too much excitement, absolutely go with furling and get a spinnaker.
Sincerely,
Marcus

Craig Weis

00-AL unit from Harkin. Works great on my Com-Pac 19.