a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailering your outboard

Started by atrometer, January 01, 2014, 12:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

Where do most carry their outboard when trailering?  On the motor mount?  On the cockpit floor?  In the cabin?  In the trunk of the tow vehicle?  I have a Honda 2 hp air cooled, 25#s if that helps.

ddg23

I trailer sail a Suncat and always carry my motor in my SUV.  I would be afraid of the stress on the motor mount or if the motor got loose inside the Suncat.

BruceW

I trailered all my motors on the mount. I did wrap a ratchet line around the motor up to the stern cleat and draw it tight so it didn't wag.

Heck, I only did this for a CP 19, Suncat, Precision 21, and Slipper 17, once or twice a month from 1993-2013, so who knows if it would work for you.

Happy New Year!
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Pacman

Powerboats have well reinforced transoms intended to handle the force of high powered outboards.  
Trailering a powerboat with the outboard in place is no problem.

However, the transoms on sailboats are built much more lightly.
Have you ever followed a sailboat with an outboard on the mount on a trailer on a bumpy highway?
Did you notice what the outboard was doing?  Did it seem to be bouncing up and down on the motor mount when it hit bumps?

Some sailboat owners do leave their outboards on the motor mount with no apparent (visible) damage to the fiberglass transon.
However, even if there was no risk to the boat, there is the risk that the motor could part company with the bracket and go bouncing down the road.  (I have seen that happen.)

My options for transporting my outboard in order of preference:

These are the options I use:

1. Inside my van
2. In the cabin wrapped in a movers blanket
3. In the cockpit wrapped in a movers blanket

These options would be OK, but not ideal:

4. On the roof rack
5. In the passenger seat
6. In my friend's trunk

This last option would be my last resort, on a smooth, short road at moderate speed but only if I had a broken arm and could not lift my motor off the bracket.

99. On the outboard bracket

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

skip1930

54 lb motor on the motor mount of a CP-19.
Trust the fiberglass. It's extremely strong.
The mount is bolted through glassed in plywood hardpoints.
It's all about spreading out the weight.

I have never seen it done but I'll bet that the entire CP-19, fully rigged, could be raised by the masthead with a crane.
And the weight would be hung by the chain plates, bow sprit with dolphin at bow ring, a stern chain plate and six cables making up the standing rigging.

It would be fun to do. Lets see, 2000 lb over 4 points, bow, stern, two midships chain plates, so 500 lb per point. And only 334 lb per cable.
Yep. no big deal.

skip.

kickingbug1

ive had a 2 hp outboard on my mount for 6 years and no problems or signs of stress yet.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

frank

This topic was tackled before here before...see link. My Suncat has a 4hp 4 stroke Yammie on the back. The motor has a lock. When trailering I have it fully raised and then tied forward tighter by rope. This keeps the "bounce" from happening and has been no trouble after several thousand miles. (Florida-Pembroke Ontario Canada, Pembroke to Chesapeake, Pembroke to Maine 3 times, Pembroke to North Channel twice, Pembroke to Lake Champlain plus local trips) I would not want to trailer with it simply hanging out there (and bouncing)

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6413.0
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Gerry

On the motor mount, vertically and padlocked.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Pete H

On the motor mount, vertical, padlocked and also supported by the main sheet (clipped to the motor and the mainsheet traveller on the stern pushpit) to support the weight. This is a 6HP 4stroke on a Legacy.
Pete H
Muggler (Compac Legacy)
Victoria
Australia
" Nothing satisfies the man who is not satisfied with a little".   Epicurus 341 BC-270BC

Eagleye

I also trailer our Eclipse with the motor on the transom and a support strap up to the stern arch with just enough tension to help support the weight and absorb the bounce.   We have trailered over 4k miles in the last 2 seasons and have had no damage.

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

kahpho

Quote from: Pete H on January 01, 2014, 04:42:30 PM
On the motor mount, vertical, padlocked and also supported by the main sheet (clipped to the motor and the mainsheet traveller on the stern pushpit) to support the weight. This is a 6HP 4stroke on a Legacy.

This has been my practice too. I've not had any problems thus far but I haven't trailed very far either. My motor is a Honda 2hp.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

capt_nemo

Ditto on Frank's comments above.

4hp Yamaha on transom motor mount SUPPORTED with Nylon Ratchet strap under motor head and hooked to stern cleats. No "dynamic loads" from bouncing. No problems.

capt_nemo

JBC

I've always taken a different approach by lowering the motor on its bracket to the bottom most position, with the motor in a vertical position.  This has worked well for my 2 1/2 and 5 hp motors.  I then only secure the motor so it won't swivel around on the mount, but otherwise don't do any more to keep it from bouncing.  Maybe it bounces some while underway...never seemed to notice and always arrived with it still on the mount!  As to the transom, I've owned 3 16s over the years and never experienced any problems with any of them by using this approach.  The heaviest motor weighed 55 lbs.

Jett

brackish

Eagleye, not sure your advice is relevant.  You have a cat running a plank on the front of your trailer to offer a dynamic counterbalance.  Not everyone can duplicate that. ;D ;D ;)

nies

I never could bring myself to chance damaging the bracket,losing the motor or someone taking at the motel parking lot.........so always remove for any long trip,the few extra minutes it takes to remount is worth it......you might have gussed I am a worrier.........if you leave on boat be sure and put in gear, watch props turning at 70 mph and wonder long before the lower units are wore out.....nies