a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Factory Lazy Jacks?

Started by cas206, December 24, 2013, 12:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cas206

A search shows lots of interest in adding lazy jacks to the CP-16.  However, were they ever a factory option? 

I have a '77 (or is it 78?) that I acquired recently.  It has the main with no reef points and bolt ropes for both boom and mast.  I learned from this board about the roller furling boom and confirmed I have it.  However, the boom also has 4 small pulleys (are they still called blocks if the pulley is hard mounted to the boom?) installed on each side with small line threaded through them attached to a metal ring.  Currently the rings are attached to the a cleat on each side of the boom.  I assume some sort of line leading the the mast is used to complete the lazy jack system.  I "assume" that the pulleys would interfere with rolling the main around the boom.  However, when I investigated how to remove them, they appear to be professionally riveted in place.

So I'm kind of stuck in limbo on reefing.  I'm afraid of damaging the main by rolling it around the boom/pulleys.  However, if I keep (use?) the lazy jacks, then I need to get reef points added to the main and probably lugs installed for the mast (or a new main made).  Personally, either roller reefing or jiffy reefing is fine with me.  I don't plan to use the lazy jack system.  For a main this small, it's easier to just pull it off the boom and store below than to flake the sail and install the sail cover. 

If the lazy jacks were a factory option, then I would feel comfortable with attempting to wrap the main around them.  (Anyone who wants lazy jacks interested in a boom swap?)

Not being able to reef has made for some exhilarating sailing here on the Chessie these past few weeks.  However, my poor tablet got busted as it was hurled across the cabin during one gust. 

NateD

I looked through my factory options list from 1989 and didn't see lazy jacks, but Hutchins will install custom stuff like that from the factory if it is asked for. Even though it probably isn't factory original, I would still be comfortable rolling the main around the boom. I had a cleat on my boom for the outhaul and still used the roller reefing and it wasn't a problem. If you want to remove the lazy jack hardware the rivets can be drilled out.

nies

I have a 78 I purchased new and lazy jacks was not a factory option, someone added later, unless the blocks are large .which I doubt, I would not see a problem rolling the sail over them, try it and see if they cause the sail to chafe before removing......nies

MacGyver

I cut downa  set of Harken Lazy Jacks for my 19

BUT, If I had to do it again I would go for a neater look, and go old school. By using SS rings and some line you could make your own, and they look good. let me see if I can get some pictures for you tomorrow.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

cas206

Oops.  Sorry for the late response.  I thought I'd get an email notification.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.  I'll play with the roller furling with lazy jacks in place even though it seems to be a 3rd party add on.  I'll also try to get a picture.  I didn't (still don't) have any idea of the amount of chafe the main would have against the blocks.  So I was hesitant to try it.

Regards,
Chris