a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keel support on a Magic-tilt trailer.

Started by steve brown, April 10, 2006, 03:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

My keel sits on only the front and center roller on the Magic -tilt trailer. It appears that I can move the bow support post assembly back about 2 1/2" which would be enough to get the keel on the back roller. However the tie down chain would have to be relocated farther aft on the tailer frame. The hull is supported well on the bunks. Can I move the rear roller forward some how? Thanks again.

Craig Weis

All weight foward.
Move jack off the trailer.
Move bow post and winch assy as far foward as possible. Lock down.
Put a strain on the winch/hull.
Drive foward to 15 mph and slam on the breaks, moving boat into rubber snubber of front post and winch assy. Boat ought to move fwd about 8 to 14 inches.
Once the boat is moved foward as much as possible, adjust bunk under hull for a 'barley there touch'.
Put the jack on to the trailer.
It should pull better with more weight up front.
Note boat will never ride on all rollers at anyone time, unless you burn off the steel supports for the rollers and reweld them. But why?
FYI. My Trailer is an extended tounge trailer. No tilt.
And with a 2000 lb boat I never put on a stern strap over my fiberglass. That just marrs things up. skip.

B.Hart

Hi steve  on my magic tilt I removed the roller [there was only one] and installed a 2x6 the length of the keel. Now the boat is fully supported on the keel and the side bunks balance the boat. I have no problems launching or retrieving. :D  I do portable welding and trailer repair for a living.

B.Hart

Hi steve  on my magic tilt I removed the roller [there was only one] and installed a 2x6 the length of the keel. Now the boat is fully supported on the keel and the side bunks balance the boat. I have no problems launching or retrieving. :D  I do portable welding and trailer repair for a living.

tsaiapex

I have Performance trailer and the keel was sitting on two of the for rollers.  I moved the boat aft about 12" so it would sit on three rollers also save me from dunking the rear bumper when launch at shallow ramps.

To compensate for the reduced tongue weight, I build a motor mount and spare tire carrier.  The added 80-30 lbs tongue weight now allows me to travel at faster speed without worrying about fishtailing when crossing large vehicles.

I have pictures if you are interested in.  Send me offline.

Jeff Tsai
CP19, Mary Grace
Apex, NC