a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A duplicate replacement winch wanted.

Started by skip1930, November 13, 2013, 01:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip1930

My buddy Steve snoops round here as a 'guest' but won't become 'a card carrying member' of CPYOA.

So I'll post some pictures of what he's after. Carelessly he let the 'guts' in the center of the winch go over the side, never to see daylight again.

He found a company [guy?] in Australia that has the guts but he won't sell them to my buddy because this Aussie says 'the guts are spring loaded and therefore dangerous for an individual to install'. And bla, bla, bla.

Geee, some people's kids ... I'll tell ya. Any who...Here's the manufacture and size shot, A side shot, And the gutless wonder shot.

Anybody help this sailor?

Thanks skip.

MacGyver

I dont understand why they wont sell him the parts........ the winch as far as I can remember has to come apart for service and removal of the base.
He should call back and tell them that he has a marine tech that said to get the parts and he will reassemble it. Sure it is a lie, but gets the job done I would think.

Otherwise he will have to order the parts through a distributor (who would probably come recommended by the company possibly.)
The distributor would sell to anyone I am sure.

I have no formal training with winches....... but I tear em apart like I own em and fix em like I know what I am doing.

Mac

By the way, did you get your ST40 working again? I worked on one the other day and had to set it into master mode after replacing the thru hull. reminded me of yours.
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Allure2sail

Hi:
I was under the impression that the company in Australia that purchased the remaining inventory from Maxwell after they stopped making them was all sold out. At least that's what I was told by someone and found that info on the internet as well. Maxwell is still in business but just in the windless market. That is why I refuse to sell the two self tailors that came off the parts boat, they are worth more to me for the spare parts than what I could sell them for. A fellow sailor showed me trick on how not to let parts go over the side. Take a shoe box or plastic bin and cut a hole in the bottom the same diameter as the winch base. Slip the box over the winch and do what you need to do. Any part that falls out stay in the box and not in the water. Keep an eye out for one those winches at the marine consignment shops.
Good luck
Bruce

crazycarl

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

skip1930

Thank you for that retched winch information, and the disassembly tip. I'll pass it on to Steve.
As for finding a new replacement for my Raymarine Bidata St-40 distance/speed paddle wheel assembly in it's entirety ... none fond. None for sale, none used. Year long + search continues. [Paddle wheel shown in profile on the right, below.] Anybody?

skip.

MacGyver

I am confused by this Skip,

Just about 2 weeks ago a customer had his unit called in to Raymarine, and is sending it in for repair.
He was also able to purchase the new thru hull (Knot meter) without issue.

I think he bought it from defender....

Anyway, They have em, and guys are getting them, and they repair em.

;)
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

Eye ... It's Defender who gets me call.
Mac your the best 'ear to the ground'.

Skip.