a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cleaning Anodized Aluminum

Started by mgoller, April 07, 2006, 10:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgoller

Great question because the wrong technique can cause a lasting problem.  Anodization creates a super hard finish on aluminum and protects against further oxidation.  Anodized finishes last a long time unless they are mistreated or subjected to wet and never dry marine environments.

There are so many "Nevers".  No alkalines including many detergents, No bleaches, metal cleaners, abrasives, steel wools, no solvents.

The one and only thing you can use is a non alkaline detergent such as a boat wash product.  You can use a sponge and you can use a sponge with the green scrubby if you are gentle.  Make sure this isn't a green metallized scrubby.  Test in an area that is near an end of a spar for example.

The anodized finish is so hard it is literally like a glass layered on top of the partially oxidized aluminum finish.  Nothing should have penetrated this finish unless it was gouged.  So if you have a black scuff mark it will come off with soap.  You can scrub to your hearts content with the right soap and a sponge or plastic bristle brush.

When you're done washing, dry and wax.

Craig Weis

Murphy Oil Soap? What do you think? skip.

mgoller

Simple Green is good too.  That stuff is awesome.

spaul

I just received my weekly add from Aurora Marine and they talk about a cleaner specifically made for anodized aluminum. Go to their web site and look for products.
I also have a bottle of their no-slip deck wax. It really works, get less slippery when wet.
Just FYI

Steve Paul
cp 27/2

Craig Weis

All righty now, good to know information
about non-slipwax and a cleaner for ano-
alum. Thanx I'll have to give her a look-see.

skip