News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What’s everybody’s winter projects this year?

Started by Mattlikesbikes, November 05, 2013, 09:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Ok, so I started a few modifications over the summer, but never completed them.

Here's the plan for this winter...

1.  finish the install of the sink and water tank.

2.  remove the stanchions and rebed them.  (bow rail, mast tabernacle, teak handrails, sliding hatch rails, drop board rails are done)

3.  "clean up" the wiring behind the porti-potti.

4.  pay our daughter to sew new interior cushions. (this one is easy)

5.  install headliner material in cabin.

Well, that's the list.  We'll see how much gets completed.

Today I started building a hard "tent" over the boat for working on her over the winter.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

HideAway

I know this will sound like an excuse but the problem with living in Fl is that it is  too miserable in the summer to do anything more than emergency repairs and its so nice right now, as we go into winter, that only a fool would not be sailing javascript:void(0);   Cast off all lines and pass the duct tape!!  M
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

capt_nemo

Man speaks for several of us - from another a sailor in SW Florida.

capt_nemo

Mattlikesbikes

Quote from: crazycarl on November 14, 2013, 05:42:54 PM
Today I started building a hard "tent" over the boat for working on her over the winter.

Carl can you post some more pictures of the hard cover you are building? I like the Idea. 
I was going to leave mine uncovered for the winter but yur frame looks pretty interesting and I might give something like that a try.

peterg

Whew........winter projects galore!! One of my favorite things about getting a new used boat (1990 CP23), other than sailing it's pants off, is tailoring it to work well with the way we intend to use her. Our plan is to do short cruises around our southern end of the Chesapeake, exploring the multitude of creeks and anchorages within a day or two of  sailing distance. We spend all of our time on the hook. Many of the creek entrances are pretty small and obscure, so installation of a chartplotter will be high on the list. In many years of sailing, the most we ever had was an old Garmin 48 handheld GPS, so it is time for an upgrade, and we'll probably stick with Garmin. The wood on the exterior of the boat is in pristine condition, and in the past I've sewn up Sunbrella covers to protect all wood when docked or moored. On Beagle 3, I'll sew up a one piece  forest green cover for the entire cabin top and sides, including an attached flap for the fancy drop boards. A CQR anchor from the old CP27 will hang from the roller and will be getting an additional long length of chain. The boat was not much modified by the previous (original) owner and did not have a bilge pump, other than the manual gusher. I added a new automatic 800 gph pump with manual over-ride this weekend. Also installed a bronze thru hull and valve for the sink drain....yes, a bit above the water line! I installed a new factory rudder blade, as the original one snapped cleanly off on the maiden voyage while sailing home. The boat came with a real nice heavy duty gel battery, but with no way to charge it. Installed a xantrex smart charger, and at the same time installed a 110V 30A shore power connection with a Blueseas main and 2 circuit panel for the charger and 110 outlets. A small solar panel will eventually find a home on the boat.Being somewhat averse to running aground, the Beagle 3 now sports an Standard Horizon digital depth/speed/temp instrument mounted above the manual bilge pump in the cockpit. The next big project is installing lazy jacks and  building a lazy bag for the sail to drop into. We swapped out the plastic interior lights for teak and brass pieces, and added a nice Weems & Plath kerosene lamp. Before spring launch, we hope to have pressure water and cockpit shower, and we might put in a real head and holding tank. It's been many years since we cruised with a porta-potty. This is an ambitious, albeit, incomplete list, but the beauty of retirement is getting up in the morning and deciding just what I feel like doing, or perhaps, deciding to just sit back and admire a fine lookin' boat!!
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

crazycarl

Quote from: Mattlikesbikes on November 14, 2013, 10:10:50 PM

Carl can you post some more pictures of the hard cover you are building? I like the Idea. 
I was going to leave mine uncovered for the winter but yur frame looks pretty interesting and I might give something like that a try.

Will do Matt.

Big storms (60mph+ winds and hail) or I'd been out working on it today.

Carl

capt_nemo

Guys,

Make sure slope of your cover "roof" is steep enough to shed snow if you get a lot where you are.

Consider using plastic jugs filled with sand, small rocks, or water tied to grommets to hold down the tarp all round. Allows the tarp to "give" a little when stressed.

Had a similar screwed together wood-framed cover in Maryland that I used repeatedly for many winters.

Also, make sure to use Cloth/Duck Tape at critical points to protect against CHAFE.

Just the voice of experience talking.

capt_nemo

Bob23

Well Pedro:
  I was wondering what you were up to and now I know. Sounds like the Beagle 3 is keeping you busy. I've also been looking to replace my old and now non functioning old Garmin black and white with a 521s...I think that's the one. I like the idea of the transducer mounted inside the hull...I will eliminate all below the waterline thru hull fittings this winter.
  Pressurized water? Shower? How 'about a nice 6 burner Wolf range and 48" Sub Zero? Last summer I used the solar pump shower thing available from Duckworks. I really worked great but is a little awkward to store. It's nothing more than a black pump sprayer with a makeshift shower head at the end. That's as close to pressurized water as I'll ever get.
   On the cooler end of things, I think I've devised a way to have a true 5 day cooler on board. It's still in the experimentation stage right now and is classified information. Stay tuned for more!
  Bob23

jthatcher

Carl,  i love the  framework for your cover.. anxious to see more pics!    I should be thinking about  winter boat projects  but it is my first day off in  a couple of months  and it is sunny and unseasonably warm..  and i just found out that my motorcycle battery is not dead...  so here we go!   just made arrangements to meat a friend for a lunch ride..   Adagio will survive another day uncovered :)  jt

kickingbug1

carl, that isnt a cover is it. joanie finally threw you out and your new residence will be a "house boat:
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

17* wind chill with the 20mph+ winds today, but i finished the hard tent on the boat.

foam around the edges and under the frame

tarp isn't large enough so i'll be doing some shopping this evening

easy enough to get in and out using the stern ladder.

not easy put the tarp on in 20mph+ winds!  i used ties and rope to secure it, but i'll replace them with bungees when i install the larger tarp.

will it stand up to the weight of the snow?  i'll keep a close watch, if the snow gets too high, i can use a broom and remove it.

cc

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Carl:
   That is the strangest wooden bimini I've even seen! You, my friend, are truly an innovator. I raise my glass of Goslings or Newfys or Pussers or Kraken to ya! why, I'll raise all 4!!!

Bob23

capt_nemo

Carl,

If you have a problem with the snow building up and not sliding off, recommend you swap the long longitudinal stringers on the roof for shorter cover supports running perpendicular from the center ridge pole down to the lower horizontal side supports.

Years ago my Maryland winter cover on an Island Packet 35, also made of 2 X 4's and 2 X2's, had such supports (2 X2's) spaced 24" apart and withstood some very heavy snows. I'd probably go to 16" spacing if I were doing it again. Constructed this way it was also easy to "help" the snow slide off (down the trough) by pushing the cover up from underneath.

Just the voice of experience talking.

capt_nemo

crazycarl

Mother nature dropped 4" of snow on us last night.  This would be the 1st real snow to challenge the framework on the boat.  Most of the snow slid off as I hoped it would.  The cockpit is still dry.  So far, it's holding.

i bought another cheap tarp to cover the boat, then put the heavier tarp on top of it.

still dry inside!