News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What’s everybody’s winter projects this year?

Started by Mattlikesbikes, November 05, 2013, 09:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

So what does everybody have planed to get done to there boat over the winter ?
So far my list is as follows.  Not sure how much I am going to get done with a 3 year and a new baby a month ago. Luckily I hulled the boat out a week before she was born so I did not have that to worry about.  I am going to try to get the most import ones fixed before the spring. I was hoping to get everything done but at this point it is not going to happen.

1. Repair mast Step

2. Fill in old motor mount holes. Previous owner just used silicon)

3. Sand and fill holes for Eyebrow trim

4. Repair cracks on deck at Hull to Deck Seam ( few spots)

5. Cover compass hole  in cockpit with teak plate

6. Replace backing plates for mid deck cleats Previous owner installed them and the wood is moldy

7. New Halyards ( extra-long)

8. Run Rigging back to cockpit

9. Replace cabin carpet

10. Repair/Replace bilge pump

11. Jib Down Haul

12. Bottom Paint

13. Brightwork

14. Go Sailing  ;D

brackish

1. Pull out drawer/tray under the companionway with either a place for a large ice chest or a custom ice chest built into the drawer.  The plan is in my head.
2. A teak hinged replacement for the gas tank cover with brackets for my new cockpit table and built in beverage holders.
3. With the exception of the drop boards, the aforementioned gas tank cover, and the board in the bowsprit, going to make/acquire a complete replacement set of teak for the boat so that during the winter I can refinish one set at my leisure without having to worry about leaving plugged holes on the boat each time.
4. replace the main halyard, I can see some worn spots on it. 
5. wire in my alternator for the sail pro, just never have gotten around to it.
6. At winter end, pull the boat, put a fresh bottom coat on, and change out all of the taping on the hull.
7. At the same time, modify the rudder assembly either with a shear pin, side tang brackets, or lift assembly bending or all of the above to eliminate the problem of the rudder kicking up slightly when under significant pressure.
8. make an anchor riding sail.
9. Make a large above the boom sun awning.
10. send the main to Sailcare for an eight year overhaul and see if they can convert it to loosefooted which is how I am using it now anyway.
11. permanently install the potable water tank that I've had for a year.
12. lead all halyard and control lines for the asymmetrical and its dousing sock back to the cockpit.

I think I got half of last years projects done, so that is probably what I'll accomplish this year.

wroundey

Sand and paint the interior
Make new hatchboards
Attempt to make a foiled rudder
Design, build, and install a new bowsprit
Should keep me busy for a while

Harrier

capt_nemo

SAIL, SAIL, and SAIL some more, in the beautiful water and weather of SW Florida.

And, when not sailing, MOTOR, MOTOR, and MOTOR some more in my Powerboat.

And, when not boating, RIDE, RIDE, and RIDE some more on my Motorcycle.

Boat projects will just have to wait 'til SUMMERTIME I guess.

capt_nemo

Bob23

Nemo:
   I can't with a clear conscience let you have all that fun alone. I'll be right down. I think I can still find your house!
Winter projects...Hmmm...
new GPS.
remove all thru hulls below the waterline.
Ongoing  teak maintenance
rebed bow and stern rails
Install a cooler in the starboard storage area forward of the bulkhead.
Change all lights to LED which is a long overdue project.
I'd love to find indoor storage for the boat for about 2 months this winter so I can really concentrate on getting some things done instead of pretending!
Bob23

capt_nemo

Bob23,

Come on down!

Indoor protected (and climate controlled) storage, even temporary is the way to go.

Borrowed my friends huge "Man Cave" again recently for boat polish/waxing and installation of my home made wheel steering system on my Sun Cat.

Told my wife after returning home from a full day of "work" on the boat that every moment spent was a distinct pleasure and that I caught myself several times thinking that I had done died and gone to heaven!

If I were UP THERE where it is cold and snowing, and had a long list of WINTER Projects to tackle, I'd search high and low for a nice WARM protected space with electricity to spend QUALITY TIME with my boat. At, hopefully, a reasonable fee.

Bob23

Thanks for the invite, Capt! Our daugher has relocated to New Smyrna Beach so we probably won't be visiting Port Charlotte any time too soon.
   I've been searching for such a storage area but in addition to the requirements you note, it has to be local and secure. A bit hard to find around here...been thinking of sneaking a Stimson shed in the back yard while the Admiral isn't looking!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Hey Bob,

My daughter & her husband live in St Aug.  Just an hour north of New Smyrna beach.  We just got back from a visit last week.  I have finished up My Grandson's Classic Finn. Thinking about trailering it down to him over Christmas. 

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Salty19

Not too many things planned this winter.  After working 11 months on our house fixing it up, I'm about done with projects for awhile.

Aside from the usual fall maintenance, which is in full swing now, I'll make a forward hatch screen/shade combo and some new lifeline foam/covers (smaller foam like pipe insulation, the noodles are kinda thick). 

In the spring, bottom paint is due and I'll put a cleat/block combo on the mast designed for holding a halyard, in this case the drifter. This is a leftover project from last year that didn't get done.  Also going to nuke the interior with...something..perhaps Tim's magic shock treatment concoction...it has a certain "bite" smell that needs to be gone. I had it sealed up last winter, and that was a mistake.

Might make a cockpit filler cushion, we'll see.

Oh and how could I forget...I'm conjuring up a design for an extendable tiller. No, not a tiller extension, a tiller that can be moved horizontally, shorter or longer securely and easily.
I use a short tiller (light helm with an IDA rudder) to free up swing space needed, but sometimes I want it longer, much longer while in or around the companionway.

I'm right in the middle of the planning and procrastination stages of the project.  A critical phase and one that cannot be rushed. Just ask Bob23 how important this phase is, he'll back me up :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Hmmm...the extending tiller sounds interesting. Keep us posted, eh?
One cannot underestimate the importance of planning and procrastination. It's critical to every projects success. But sometimes I never seem to get around to it!
Bob23
Oh...and maybe new cushions.

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

crazycarl

All the projects and improvements I didn't complete during the warmer months!

the list will most likely be the same next winter  :P

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

im gonna teach myself how to play the guitar and give up smoking
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Here's to Kick kick'n the habit at getting kick'n on the guitar!
Bob23