a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

lazarette hatch

Started by dontpanic, October 31, 2013, 10:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

The hatch at the aft end of the cockpit, basically just sits in place.  I think originally there was some type of shock cord to secure it.

I doubt that a shock cord is adequate.  I would like to add some type of hinges and perhaps a hasp.  Can't really see a simple way to do this because of the shape of the hatch.

Has anyone added hinges, any pictures or descriptions.

Thanks!

don't panic

NateD

Mine had a hasp, but the aft end of the hatch wasn't secured. I picked up some (I think 2.5"x1/4") aluminum from the hardware store and bent it into a shape that would hold the hatch in place (along with the hasp), and used rivets to attach it to the hatch where the bungee used to attach. The rope was there to make sure I didn't lose the hatch overboard.

nies

I installed a pair of SS hinges to rear of hatch and put a hasp on the front to make secure and provide for a lock , small up grade................nies

sharkwatcher

Try using replacement Igloo cooler latch and hinges. They are available at either Acedemy Sporting Goods or Sports Authority

Jason

Hi,  I installed stainless steel hinges and latch; see photo below.  On the inside of the lazarette lid I applied an adhesive-backed foam seal so when I close the hatch the foam compresses and seals the hatch.  I made this modification last winter and was very pleased with it over this past sailing season.

Happy Sailing,

Jason
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

dontpanic

Thanks everyone for the ideas, especially the photos.  I think I'll go with the hinges and hasp.   Need to get to the supply store in the next couple of days and see what I can find.

Don't Panic