a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Standing rigging

Started by dontpanic, October 09, 2013, 04:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

Upon closer inspection of my recently acquired ComPac 16, I am not comfortable with the condition of the standing rigging. Does anyone have experience with buying new rigging from the folks at Hutchins rather than suppliers like West Marine? Thoughts and Recommendations please.
Thanks

wes

Heartily recommend Hutchins over Worst Marine. Their prices are surprisingly reasonable, customer service is excellent, they know exactly what's right for your boat, and you will be helping to support a family owned business that's given us these wonderful boats. The parts department manager, Matt Hutchins, is the grandson of the founder.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

nies

About seven years ago I purchased new rigging from Hutchins for my 78 CP16, spent a lot of time checking for best price. one call to Hutchins and my rigging was on the way at a fair price....................lot of the rigging they have made up in stock, would give them a call.......nies

Norm

By all means, go to Hutchins for your rigging needs.

MacGyver

The many times i have had to order custom rigging for all sorts of boats, I bet your best bet would be hutchins, and frankly I have been happy with their prices on the parts I have ordered from them for the 19. Good prices and they are a lot of help

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

I would at least price Hutchins.  I too have found their prices to be reasonable when compared to other sources for various things.

dontpanic

Looks like the consensus is to go with Hutchins.

Thanks for what I am sure is sound advice

Don't. panic

Bob23

Actually we all receive a cut from Hutchins when we recommend them. Wait? I didn't just say that, did I?!
Bob23

hinmo

been great to me so far (1 month newbie)

skip1930

If you wish to replace the standing rigging, just take the lines to a boat yard and have a set made.
I had to do this after I broke my dolphin stay under my bow sprit. Cut and swaged to size with no turnbuckle.

What makes you uncomfortable about the standing rigging? It's stainless steel wire.

" a strand or two of wire that has come out of the fitting at the top. "

Ahhh details, yes two or so strands no longer swaged in place is cause to worry. I wouldn't care if the standing rigging had a few kinks in it. As long as the cable had not unraveled, separated, or opened up.

As some said, West Marine sells cable and screw on ends. Reuse the turnbuckles. Check the net for bulk prices.

skip.

dontpanic

Both shrouds have a strand or two of wire that has come out of the fitting at the top.  Plus all of the standing rigging have what appear to be slight bent points along the shroud or stay. I have had three previous small sailboats and their standing rigging didn't show any of these symptoms. I think one of the former owners treated the rigging carelessly.

I really hate to spend 350 dollars on new rigging, but I guess a rigging failure while underway is second only to sinking.  Perhaps I am too cautious.

Salty19

No, loose strands are serious, you're right to be concerned. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to holding up the mast.

Is $350 what CP16 rigging costs these days from Hutchins? If so, that should include all the pins, turnbuckles, etc so if you compare prices, take that into account.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

jb

company has been in business since 1984...very competitive pricing and good work!

http://www.riggingonly.com/

j

nies

Replace, if you have a problem at the wrong place and time you would give three times that to get out of it, if you don't replace you will always worry every time the wind comes up.....................better to be safe than sorry....nies

Bob23

A friend of mine swears by rigging only. Used them for his old Pearson.
Bob23