Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Extended Bow Sprit on a CP16

Started by Jason, October 06, 2013, 08:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Hi Everyone,

I know that the later models of CP16 had a bowsprit that my 1981 was not equipped with.  Has anyone experimented with an extended bowsprit, maybe 3ft ?  Combined with a bigger headsail?  Would all this improve performance?  Or would it move the center of lateral effort too far forward vs the CLR?

I like thought of sticking with the boats original design, but on the other hand I like projects too.

Thanks for any input.

Jason

Jason Talbot
Sussex
WI

1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

skip1930

One can do all kinds of things to hang more sail material out into the wind but once you reach 'Terminal Hull Speed' [around 5.4 or 6.2 knots] your done.
The sail enlargement may help achieve T.H.S. in light wind ... but only so much.

I installed a bow sprit kit on a CP-19. Here is the one saving grace.
As the bow sprit raises along the sheer line with it's leading edge [tac for head stay] comes up to meet the old fore stay.
Amazing this set-up did not need a new and longer forestay. The angle of the dangle changes but not it's length.
The dolphin stay bolted to the hull at the bow eye has a turnbuckle heading up to the tac for the head stay.

I think the bow sprit is a selling point more then a functional addition. Oh, the headsail can be any size from a jib to a 155% lapper.
Unless you pop for new sails, where is the advantage other then providing a nice roller and parking place for the anchor?

skip.

wes

Quote from: skip1930 on October 06, 2013, 09:27:00 PM

Unless you pop for new sails, where is the advantage other then providing a nice roller and parking place for the anchor?

skip.

Yes, you pop for new sails. Larger sails are the whole point of the bowsprit. Hutchins added the sprit to the 19/2 in response to concerns that the original 19 was underpowered.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

carry-on

When the sprit was added to the 16, the main was reduced in size and the jib area was increased. Seems Hutchins was moving the Center of Effort to improve control.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Jason

Mostly looking for somewhere to add a carved Mermaid......
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

Salty19

I like the idea a lot of a big bowsprit, and think it will make a huge change in the behavior of the boat. 

The 16 handles differently from 19's and are not as balanced, IMO, and could use more headsail area and move effort forward. Also changes seem to be more noticeable on the 16's. At least that's what I recall from owning both.  The extra headsail area and/or the COE movement will reduce weather helm and give you more options for sizing headsails.  My only concern is creating possible lee helm, especially combining a big bowsprit, big headsail with a foiled rudder which each reduces weather helm. It might be too much? However you don't have to get huge sails and still move the COE forward just with the bowsprit.

Keep in mind if you change the angle of headstay, the geometric measurements of the headsail should be compensated to allow for this foretriangle change.
Otherwise the sheets won't pull at the correct angle and you'll lose any gain performance, not to mention an annoying flapping headsail that will impossible to trim correctly.  A track will help find the sweet spot for differences between sails, or to increase/reduce power by changing the sheet angle.

I had 5ft tracks-Ronstan C tracks with bullseye camcleats (sourced from Hutchins, you won't find these cleats in the catalogs)on the 16 using a 155% of a furler.  Worked great!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

comfortably numb

Skip, I too have a 19/1 with the sprit conversion. The headstay is too close to the bow pulpit rail to fit a furler, is that true to your installation as well?

skip1930

No sir. I put the bow sprit on Wind Rover, a CP-19 and Steve has one of those flexible furlers. Works fine.

skip.

With bow sprit.

Without bow sprit.

Anchor holding set-up.