Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon or Sun cat ?

Started by captmac, October 06, 2013, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmac

Hi all,
My wife and I are interested in the Sun cat or Horizon cat (leaning towards the HC)and was hoping someone might let us look at theirs to see which one we like the best for our needs. I have owned the CP 19 and CP 23 and loved them both but we live in the mountains of Western North Carolina now and need a trailer sailor that is easy to rig and launch. If you have one near us or have any advice on either one I would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks
Jay

Craig

Hi, and welcome! We have owned both a Suncat and a HC. Both are great boats. We moved to the HC a year ago and really love it The Suncat being smaller is a little easier to trailer but we wanted the inboard diesel and larger accommodations/cockpit and the HC is still really easy to rig. Kailani is in a slip year-round so rigging is not a issue for us but makes it easy to pull the boat for maintenance when needed. The HC being larger and heavier has more stability and an easier motion in chop. She is also better in light air than the Suncat. We LOVE the diesel! Electric start is great and having rechargeable house power for lights and electronics is a plus. Initially I missed the Suncat tiller but now that I am used to it I really like the HC wheel steering. It allows the boat to self steer better than the tiller when raising/lowering sail etc. which is helpful when singlehanding and does increase useable cockpit space. The space is noticeable when more than two are aboard. Hope this info is helpful. You will not be unhappy with either boat! ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

skip1930

Depends ... Horizon Cat is too big to trailer to water every week. But nice for overnights and weekend cruses.
Sun Cat is O.K. inside and would be easier to trailer and set up for sailing. But you knew that.

skip.

Rahn

I also have had both boats and now own a Horizon Cat with an outboard which I prefer. I can't say that the Suncat is that much easier to rig. I mainly cruise so the Horizon Cat is better for my purpose. I would recommend seeing both If you can.

wes

Captmac - try sending a PM to "shamblin" (Bill Shamblin). He has an HC in your neck of the woods and I'm sure would offer good advice and a test sail. He keeps his on Lake James.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

CaptRon28

Quote from: skip1930 on October 06, 2013, 03:19:32 PM
Horizon Cat is too big to trailer to water every week.......Sun Cat is O.K. inside and would be easier to trailer and set up for sailing. But you knew that.

A 20 foot long boat is too big to trailer to water every week?

In the past 3 years I've been using the HC sometimes as a trailer sailor. Parked on my driveway, drive a few miles to a lake or ?? and it's in the water and I'm sailing in about 10 minutes. The Suncat is not that much easier to rig. Similar set up, just 3 feet shorter.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Craig

Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

I've had my NEW Sun Cat for nearly 4 years now, have sailed it in various conditions, and have modified it extensively both inside and out, including the standing rigging.

In order to respond meaningfully to your questions I need to know, in some detail - HOW WILL YOU ACTUALLY USE THE BOAT?

"... which one we like the best for our needs." needs clarification!

capt_nemo

captmac

Thanks for all the great responses, to clarify our use of the boat we are retiring next year and plan on taking 3 to 4 trips a year for about 2 to 3 weeks at a time, we will get a vacation rental and then sail and explore (land and sea) the different areas that we visit, we would like the option of spending the night on the boat once and awhile but we will be mainly day sailing in the areas that we visit. There will be a lot of miles on the trailer so the dual axle trailer is probably safer but I am concerned about boat ramps and the depths needed for easy launch.
Jay

skip1930

Capt's got a point. " A 20 foot long boat is too big to trailer to water every week? " It's a heavier and wider hull than the Sun Cat especially with a diesel.
That's all. Differences are asked for and that's all I could come up with.

skip.

capt_nemo

Captmac,

OK, that's what we're looking for in terms of USE!

The Horizon Cat is a fine sailing vessel, more roomy and comfortable down below, and ALMOST as easy to rig/derig, launch, and recover as the Sun Cat. And, I would hasten to say that if I could afford one I'd probably own one.

HOWEVER, based on your well - stated intended use of the boat I honestly believe that the smaller Sun Cat would more than satisfy your needs at considerably reduced cost. (4 trips/year, 3-4 weeks each, mainly DAYSAILING, and occasional overnighting)

In addition, there are also several advantages in owning and traveling with a smaller (lighter) boat in tow. A smaller tow vehicle required, a little less water required for launch/retrieval, reduced fees at marina slips, smaller space required for storage (even in a garage with "garage package"), and generally lower cost of items for a smaller boat, to name but a few.

Best wishes on your search for "just the right boat".

capt_nemo

frank

"""Captmac, OK, that's what we're looking for in terms of USE!
The Horizon Cat is a fine sailing vessel, more roomy and comfortable down below, and ALMOST as easy to rig/derig, launch, and recover as the Sun Cat. And, I would hasten to say that if I could afford one I'd probably own one.
HOWEVER, based on your well - stated intended use of the boat I honestly believe that the smaller Sun Cat would more than satisfy your needs at considerably reduced cost. (4 trips/year, 3-4 weeks each, mainly DAYSAILING, and occasional overnighting)
In addition, there are also several advantages in owning and traveling with a smaller (lighter) boat in tow. A smaller tow vehicle required, a little less water required for launch/retrieval, reduced fees at marina slips, smaller space required for storage (even in a garage with "garage package"), and generally lower cost of items for a smaller boat, to name but a few.
Best wishes on your search for "just the right boat".
capt_nemo"""

Well put Cat Nemo.  The suncat is fine for a few nights aboard (or more), trailers much easier, lighter=less fuel and has shallower draft for an easier time at the ramp and gunkholing as well.
Put the saved funds into more time away!!   ;D
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Rahn

Since I have owned both boats, I don't see the differences with towing/rigging/launching a Horizon Cat. I did upgrade to a larger tow vehicle to accommodate the increased weight and got much more room for living (berths are bigger) and storage. I also enjoy the fresh water system but feel the "head" area is a waist of space.

I think either would work for your purposes and again would suggest looking at both before you decide.

My Suncat:

My Horizon Cat:

frank

I have no doubt the Horizon Cat tows extremely well and would rig very easily, but I would think that the deeper draft and generally larger boat would combine to make it sit a fare bit higher on a trailer than a suncat. That, combined with the extra 1000lbs of boat (plus bigger/heavier trailer) would take more fuel than towing a suncat? The extra foot or so of draft would also have to effect launching at shallow ramps. I remember one shallow ramp where the water was near the door launching my Sun Cat. An extra foot of draft and I'd have been in trouble.....or created a you-tube moment   ;D
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

capt_nemo

Why should Captmac buy a Horizon Cat for "...much more room (berths are bigger) and storage." for a FEW OCCASIONAL OVERNIGHTERS out of 365 days of ownership a year? He SPECIFICALLY stated "...we will be mainly DAYSAILING in the areas we visit." The use he describes is definitely not CRUISING and LIVING ABOARD.

Given the prospective owner's description of "needs", it just doesn't make good sense to spend the extra money and endure the extra HASSLES of Horizon Cat ownership (as few and insignificant as they may appear to be) unless, of course, money is not a MAJOR consideration.

capt_nemo