a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Planning a Gulf Coast trip in Janurary

Started by Banana Cakes, October 02, 2013, 12:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana Cakes

Hey guys! Looking at doing the inaugural trip on 'Banana Cakes' on the Gulf Coast.  Beginning at Pensacola and getting to New Orleans and returning.  Hoping for a little bit of help finding some nice points of interests to visit.  I was planning on island hopping to New Orleans and staying close to the coastline on the return leg.  I was thinking of Dolphin Island, Horn Island, East/West Ship Island.  But what is another cool destinations west of the ship islands? Much appreciated for the help!

brackish

Smugglers cove on the back (south) side of Cat Island is nice.  There is also a channel that is cut into Cat Island on the north side that goes into the Island, very protected from weather.  At one time they were selling lots on that canal but I think only a couple of cabins were built up there.  January would be OK, too many mosquitoes during warmer weather.  Disclaimer, it has been many years since I've been in there could be shoaled over, I used to be able to get my Columbia 24' in there and it drew 3'-9".  

I think that's it for points of interest west.  In fact the rest of the trip to New Orleans may be in the ditch.  I've never done it.  I've done Pensacola to Cat Island both inside and out, but it has been years.  I have sailed to the north end of the Chandeleur chain but not much there other than good fishing.

You can sign up on the TSBB board and ask over there.  There are some Texas and Louisiana sailors that have made that trip a bunch of times and can offer you better info on that portion of the trip.

Banana Cakes

I'm going to check out smugglers cove! Thanks for the 4-1-1! We are very excited about our trip