a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller to Wheel Stering on a Sun Cat

Started by capt_nemo, September 27, 2013, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

WITHOUT DRILLING A SINGLE HOLE IN THE BOAT OR ALTERING THE BOAT'S STRUCTURE IN ANY PERMANENT WAY.

First, I'll try to answer the nagging question on many minds - Why in the hell does he change a relatively simple, effective, and efficient tiller steering system to a much more complicated, unforgiving, and problem prone wheel steering system?

There are actually two answers to that question. The first, because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, especially with the major design criterion highlighted above. The second, although wheel steering is generally not considered appropriate, or RIGHT, on most small boats, it IS considered appropriate, traditional, and RIGHT on small Catboats.

All components of the Wheel Steering System in the photos were handmade in my half of the 2-car garage shown below.

Here is the "BEFORE" photo.

And the "AFTER" photo

While designing the steering shaft "box" I incorporated both internal and external storage compartments in what was otherwise dead space under the tiller.
The box also helps to organize the double ended mainsheet by nicely separating the two coils.

First generation shaft brake. Second generation on the drawing board.

Tiller hard to starboard, wheel counterclockwise to stop. 2 1/2 revolutions stop to stop. And NO I didn't cut off my beautiful tiller. After all, I may need it someday.

Turnbuckles serve to tighten the 3/16" Dacron line used in the system.

I'm anxious to see how the system performs in sea trials.

Bob23

Well, Nemo:
   Even you have outdone yourself this time! Imagine what you could accomplish if you drilled even ONE  hole in the boat! Very nice and I agree, a small wheel is quite appropriate for a catboat. And I see I'm not the only one to use nylon washers between the gudgeon and rudder head! But, yours are much cleaner!
  Congrats on another successful project. What's next? Lee boards?
Bob23

skip1930

That's pretty neat. I like the tiller brake.
I'm thinking instead of a threaded hole in an aluminum angle, I'd weld in a nut for more threads, and perhaps National Fine Thread.
So hummmm, need a good patent attorney?

skip.

Billy

Capt.
Please stop! You are making my boat very jealous!
Seriously, your mods are amazing! Well thought out, well done, and visually wonderful.

If you ever decide to sell Frisky I call dibs...

Excellent work!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-