a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Cushions for Cabin & Cockpit

Started by Sedona Don, September 26, 2013, 05:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedona Don

I just finished having replacement cushions made for the cabin and cockpit of my 1990 Compac 23D.   I got a quote from a local upholstery shop which almost knocked me off my feet!  Ended up using JSI  who did the original work for the manufacturer.  http://www.newjsi.com   They had all of the necessary patterns and all I did was ship the two filler panels (V-berth and marine head cover) which they recovered.  Upgraded to 3" higher quality foam.  The service, fit and quality are excellent.  Price was very fair.  No connection with JSI .... just a very happy customer.

Don
ComPac 23D - Luna

Bob23

Don:
   Thank you for posting that. I'm in the market for new cushions as my 1985 23/2 is still sporting the originals. I just checked the Annapolis sailboat show list and JSI is gonna be there. There are usually deals to be had so I may take the leap!
Bob23

Sedona Don

Bob,

I dealt with Jane Vanse.   Wish I was going to the show ...... but would probably be tempted to buy a new sailboat instead of just cushions!  ;D

Don
ComPac 23D - Luna

Bob23

I'll tell her you said hi. Most of the boats at the show I walk right by. I'm not interested in the 45 foot floating fortresses that happen to have a mast sticking up. But there are plenty of small boats there too and lots of vendors. Of course, I always wander over to the Compac guys...missed the Pilothouse 23 because I didn't go last year.
   Thanks again...as I said my 23 is long overdue for cushions. Maybe cockpit cushions, too. I gotta watch spending money at these shows but I'm not an impulsive shopper.
Bob23

wes

Bob - Jane set me up with cockpit cushions at last year's show. She was very knowledgable about all the foam and fabric choices, and gave me a show discount. I've been very happy with the JSI cushions.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

Not in the market for replacement cushions, but would like to acquire/make a memory foam topper for the V-berth and a set of fitted sheets for the berth with topper.  Anyone done this?  Sheet source?

Bob, my boat came with cockpit cushions.  If I didn't already have them, not sure I would invest in them.  Kind of prefer the sport-a-seat things, I have the West Marine versions and they are really nice.  The cushions make it somewhat difficult to get into the cockpit lockers without everyone on that side getting up.  Additionally, when you do, things that were on the cushion drop down under it and get crushed (such as very expensive sun glasses).  One season, I just left them in the cockpit when the boat was back at the marina but they discolor on the bottom with a pinkish scum that also discolors the fiberglass of the cockpit seats.  The other option is to remove them every time and either take them home, or stuff them down in the cabin.  If they go down there wet, they will get mold. Neither is a good option for me.  The only time I use them now is if I'm going to have a large crowd on the boat, if just Sheri and I, it is the Sport-a-seats.

Back on topic, I bought the last two sails, a 135 genoa and an asymmetrical  spinnaker from JSI.  It was a very good experience and I can highly recommend them for sails.

wes

Brackish - with respect, must disagree. The JSI cushions are 3-piece for each side, and they are held down with snaps, so the lockers open as normal. They are open cell foam with open weave acrylic fabric covers, so no discoloration of anything, and they dry almost instantly.

I don't use them when single handing, but when wife and friends or kids are along they are very nice.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Billy

I had my mother-n-law make me new cabin cushions, made out of sunbrella. navy blue with white piping. We get so many compliments. Really makes the inside nicer. Going on about 5 years now and they have helt up great!

If you look closely you can see the starboard side of the V-birth.

I never understood why Com-Pac uses that UGLY plaid patter. ???

And I was at West Marine about 4-5 years ago and saw the sport-a-seats and bought two. My wife was pretty angry at the time (about $85 a piece). But after one use she loves them. Between those and the bimini that is the best money I have spent on the boat (according to her). I would say new sails and a foiled rudder, but those do not make a difference to her.

Now West Marine had the seats on sell for $40 or so.

Not only are they good for the cockpit but they are good for up on the bow and on the beach!

so you could get 4 seats for under $200. Lets see JSI top that!!!  

In any case, have fun at the show!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Billy

And oh yea, with the sport-a-seats you get a back rest too!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Sedona Don

We and Brackish - in response to your comment:
QuoteThe JSI cushions are 3-piece for each side, and they are held down with snaps, so the lockers open as normal.
I elected to not go with the mulit-piece cockpit cushions and also decided against the snaps.   Eliminating the snaps lets me reverse the cushions and use both sides and they seem to stay in place just fine.   Opening the lockers is simple without removing the cushions.  I specified beige Sunbrella with contrasting piping to match my brown bimini and main sail cover.

Don
ComPac 23D - Luna

Sedona Don

Hey ..... I see that I have moved up to "Rigger".   Life is good!

Don
ComPac 23D - Luna

jthatcher

is that Gilligan sitting on that cool sport a seat on the bow?    my wife would agree that the bimini has been the best improvement that we have made so far.    we have the bottom-siders  cushions ( bought by the previous owner)    the one on the starboard side is split, so it is relatively easy to get into that locker... too bad that the  one on the port side is the full length..   i agree that it is a hassle to get into the port locker.    But they are comfortable on a long day's sail.    I never could have afforded them if they had not come with the boat, however...    jt

Bob23

Well, this has become a multi faceted thread. I have a real sport a seat (read: Non West Marine) and I like it. But it takes up a bit of room in the cockpit. The upside is it is really comfy... provides back support. I like it because I can sit about 45 degrees off center of the boat while sailing.
We'll see how the JSI folks do at Annapolis!
Bob23

Salty19

I too like the sport-a-seats.  Comfy, good back support, stowable and not terribly expensive. Even the "real" ones.

The admiral likes to sit with it up on the bow as shown by Billy's pic with the seat. Makes her feel like a pirate.  ;D

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

"  Com-Pac uses that UGLY plaid patter "
Wait. I like that UGLY plaid pattern.

Mine still looks great since it's inception in 1996.
I do like the 'open' style fabric verses a fake leather [these sweat and mold]  or very close weave 'Sunbrella' type material.

All stock factory is great and fun.

skip.