Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast tender collar or boot!

Started by Glenn Basore, September 20, 2013, 04:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

I know many of usare annoyed at our jib sheet lines hanging up on the extrusion point on the mast tender system,  so I have decided to try something myself in the way of a collar or boot .

The idea is, this will cover the extrusion with a round smooth cover to allow the line to slide over it rather than catching it.

I've cut out a few jig pieces to start with and will use foam to shape and then Fiberglas the entire piece. I think there needs to be an upper and lower cover that meet at the hing point, this would I think parent the lines fron catching either from the top of the extrusion or below the extrusion .  It might be that my design will be a one piece unit using the extrusion as the plug that will hold the cover in place. It would only be in place when sailing, not permently  attached to the mast.

I need to buy some foam, not too sure what to buy, I know fiberglass resign will just destroy some types of foam , so, any suggestion ?

I would really like to make a proto type and have an injected modeled one made as I think it would be a better looking finished piece rather than my Fiberglas home job. I've seen some crude vacuum devices  you make your self but not sure if I'm up to it.

Glenn

Eagleye

You may be on to something, Glenn.  I'll be looking foreword to seeing your results. Even though the Mastendr has one "snag", (pun intended  ;D ),  it is a great piece of engineering that makes setting up the Eclipse a breeze.

I have been working on a prototype also.  I formed a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet into a clip that wraps around the Mastendr.  It is held in place mostly by spring tension.  I swapped out 1 bolt on each side of the Mastendr with socket head cap screws, which hook over two holes that I drilled into the aluminum clip.  I also welded a short piece of pipe inside the clip to go over the nub on the Mastendr making the whole setup very secure.  I need to make a change to the upper surface making it more sloped so the jib sheet doesn't rest on top of the clip.  It has worked very well so far this season.  I may make my final model out of SST. 

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Glenn Basore

Allen,

Very nice!

I think we're thinking along the same lines, that extrusion has to be covered.

I noticed the under side of your cover is curved to allow the line to pass over it rather than being a straight 90 degree angle which would be just another obstruction.

I plan on tapering mine , it would be fat enough to cover as you have done but going from the hinge point both up and down would taper , getting narrower at the ends.

I like your mount screw. I was thinking of using Velcro tape and the extrusions to secure it in place.

I also was thinking since my idea is using  the shape of the mast ( elliptical ) itself, I could design it to be a clam fit where it would be spread open a bit to be put on and off.

Also, I think most of the snags and hang ups occur on the underside of the extrusion ?

Glenn

Bob23

Allen:
   You may have stumbled upon a nice little side business. That is a very nice piece of metal work and well thought out...like I'm surprised? Anyone who builds his own stainless steel anchor and buffs it out, well, what can be said about such genius?
   Bob23

Eagleye

Thanks for the kind words, Bob.   Not so much genius but more of a case of just being too cheap to go out and buy something that I can fabricate in the machine shop that I supervise. 

-Allen

Bob23

Whatever...your to modest. That is a nice piece of hardware. I'm always amazed at how talented metalworkers make functional things that look great too.
I can do an ok job with wood...metal is another thing. I can identify with the too cheapness...it facilitates real creativity! Genius, I tell you!
Bob23

EclipseGuy

That collar does look great Allen!

I took a slightly different approach. I tied a line from about 6 foot up the mast to a D-ring just forward of the hatch. I have used it for a year now and can say that it has worked amazingly well.

For those of us that are not metal artists the line is a good alternative. There are pictures posted of it under the "No more fouled sheets" topic.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

waterwheels

Hey All,

Here is how I dealt with the fouling jib sheets. I don't have access to metal working equipment to make a collar, however I do know a knot or two. I took a short piece of line and went through the eyes straps on the bottom of the mast tied and alpine butterfly knot part way along then secured it to the front pulpit with a fisherman's or barrel knot. Then I ran the jib halyard (which wasn't doing anything anyway) through the loop of the alpine butterfly and pulled it tight.....presto.....no more fouled jib sheets while tacking. The front hatch still opens and best part of all no holes drilled anywhere. Also easy to adjust or just remove altogether.
Don
"Living Water"

Eagleye

Don,
Great job!  Simple is often a good solution.

-Allen

waterwheels

Thanks Allen,

We are having a great season on the boat. A lot of swimming, BBQ's and sunsets. Love this boat.

Don
"Living Water"