a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

mooring attachment on 16

Started by Timwp, September 15, 2013, 09:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timwp

Hello, I have been attaching a chain from the bow eye to the mooring float. It has worked well so far as strength in any conditions. I am having more of a struggle with this as time goes on. As I am coming in to moor up, I take the chain already attached to the mooring float, walk it up to the bow, duck my whole upper body up under the bow rail and reach down and clip on to the bow eye. This is getting more difficult to do with age and getting chubbier (almost getting stuck under the bow rail). Is there a better way to set this up that is less of a struggle.

Thanks, Tim

skip1930

Use a pick-up buoy and a telescoping [for ease of storage] boat hook.
Make a hawser with chaffing leathers, and not a heavy chain?

skip.

Pacman

Quote from: Timwp on September 15, 2013, 09:52:10 PM
Hello, I have been attaching a chain from the bow eye to the mooring float. It has worked well so far as strength in any conditions.
Thanks, Tim

Tim,

The trailering eye on the bow is not well suited to mooring use.  

It is hard to reach, as you pointed out, and it is not as strong as it should be for mooring use, particularly when pull is not straight ahead.  I have reinforced mine for trailer use but that's for another discussion.

Why not attach mooring pennants (dock Lines) to the chain and use the mooring cleat on the bow?

It is located well and allows the use of two lines to attach the boat to the mooring chain, one on each side of the forestay and it is easier to reach than the trailer eye.  

You might consider adding a good sized backing plate under the deck and possibly an upgraded (larger) cleat.  

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Timwp

Thanks for the info. I have been doing things the hard way. Next season I won't have to worry about getting stuck under the railing on the bow.