a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Launching

Started by hinmo, September 15, 2013, 02:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinmo

Wont be doing the first launch till next spring, but I am wondering how the shoal draft models come off (and on) the trailer? The state ramp down the road from my house has medium grade pitch. Does anyone need a trailer extension to launch/retrieve?

JBC

I have on occasion almost launched my Volvo wagon along with the boat at shallow boat ramps.  I now use a 1 ft extension bar between the hitch receiver and hitch bar that makes launching much easier, as needed.  Available where hitches are sold and around $30 I believe.

Jett

skip1930

Nothing beats a trailer with a 3 foot tube in a tube extension on the hitch.

I just back the Expedition down till I hear the exhaust bubbling and by that time the CP-19 has floated off the trailer.
My crew has both a bow and stern line in hand and walks the boat back down the dock so the trailer can be pulled out.

It's harder to reset the boat on the trailer because somehow the trailer's strap has to hook into the bow eye.
Then the winch has to crank her into the vee block. I have never been able to do that without becoming a tad wet.

The two fiberglass driveway markers on the back of the trailer centers up the boat on the trailer and out she comes.
The boat usually comes out in a snow or sleet storm.

Because of the curved hull bunks the boat is not going to SLIDE OFF, but rather it floats off.

skip.

hinmo

ok - sounds like an extension is in order....cheap enough

JTMeissner

hinmo, while cheap, probably not necessary for your situation (save the receipt).  I have yet to purchase an extension, and have only had minor difficulty on shallow ramps with launching (dry boat, dry bunks, used the tilt function to assist).  I have several hitches, and for trailering long distance I use the drop hitch that keeps the trailer level, but for use between storage and the lake (mile or so), I use a three-ball hitch.  I have found that the few inches of raised height at the hitch has made launching easier.  I use a raised hitch if launching with my minivan due to its much lower receiver and it has worked out for me.

The picture below is of the very first time I splashed my CP-16.  The truck tires were at water's edge to about mud-flap level, tailpipe not submerged, hitch is above water (and was a drop hitch, not the three-ball), and the bunks not completely submerged; boat floated right off.  Having launched at several other places since this time, I'd guess this was medium slope as far as ramps go, though tidal levels do change the slope for this particular ramp.  Another trick to assist is wetting the bunk carpets to reduce friction and allowing the boat to slide (if not floating by then) more freely.

-Justin

hinmo

Thanks Justin, good info and good pic.
For $39 I can get a 2ft extension from UHAul - like you say, get it and use if needed, if not I will return it

kickingbug1

i dont know if this helps but even though i dont need an extension to launch my 16, i do have some advise on retrieval. since i have keel rollers on my trailer i have added carpet covered boards mounted between each roller but just a shade lower than the roller, this keeps the keel from getting stuck between the rollers as you winch it up. i also have a single rope connected to the bow cleat and to a stern cleat with some slack in it. using this rope you can both pull and guide your boat in a straight line and walk it right onto the trailer. i have single handed my boat for a long time and have never had a problem
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"