a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

moving up to 12 " tires

Started by kickingbug1, September 10, 2013, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i planning on moving up to 12" tires on my cp16 trailer. i figure i need at least a c rating but i wonder about size should i go with 480 or 530. what is the difference in tire height? i already have the wheels (8 bucks a piece). also should i go with radials or bias?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

mattman

I believe the number is the width of the tire. I just put on new tires this spring on a cp16 Hutch trailer, they are 5.70-8, load range c, 910 lbs at 75 psi. Four ply side wall and 4 ply tread. I believe the originals were load range B, a little light for that rig.  Got them from FS about 45 bucks each mounted. they were supposed to order 6 ply but only had the 4 when I showed up. It was a $2 difference. One guy in the garage said they didn't make a six ply (not sure I believe that, he blamed the mix-up on the lady in at the counter with a "she is a woman what do you expect"- then when I went to grease the hubs noticed they had put two different sized lug nuts on-I always forget why I don't shop there...). Anyway, Make sure you have room between the tire and the frame for width. Fenders can be moved but you are stuck with width. If it were me, I would pull the trailer to where I was buying the tires and let them size them. Also,they will look at you funny but you can get them balanced, which I don't think is a bad idea. Though I did not opt for this on my recent purchase I have on the heavier trailers on other boats I have had.  I believe the radial is going to have a softer sidewall, they may not even make a radial in that size.  If you can get a ST or "Special Trailer" that may be the best approach if long hauls are in your future. Best of luck.

kickingbug1

thanks for the quick reply.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

nies

After a lot of research I am replacing my 570-8 C Bias(5 hole) with 480-12 6Ply Bias(5 hole).................no problem with fenders and width , but the tire size increases overall height 3 inches ( 1 1/2 inches from axel center to top of tire)   and  I may have to move the fenders up................................nies

skip1930

Load rating.
The only thing that counts regardless of diameter.
Radials if you can find them.
Larger wheels for brakes if needed.
How much weight are you hauling with a CP-16.

Now a note about contact surface ... remember 'wide Ovals' radials, belted tires?
Hot Rod Magazine did a story that had circles, and arrows, and pictures indicating
that a wide tire had a wide but less long, read, narrow contact surface while a narrow tire had a
narrow but longer contact surface.
Their conclusion was both tires had the SAME amount of rubber on the road.

Tire America.com will have all the size and load and heat-traction-wear data on any size tire.

My Carlyles have been rolling fine since 1996.

skip.

kickingbug1

since first posting my question about 12" trailer tires i have been doing some internet research, trying to get a handle on which tire i should buy. it seems that every review i have read regarding ther following brands was unfavorable---goodyear marathons, nanco, towmaster, nankang, and carlyle. most of the reviewers complained about blowouts, poorwear and even damage to their trailers. can anyone here recommend a brand of tire i can live with. this is for my cp16 so i figure i should have a load c at least.

crazycarl

steve,

i have carlyles on my trailer and haven't had a problem with them

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

skip1930

Not that anybody will be doing this ... but just for poops and grins lets consider bolting on a pair of mobile home leaf springs, hubs, rims, wheels and tires.

I can't think of a set up that can carry and handle any more weight then these babies for their size. And these axels are fitted with electric brakes, which I never hooked up.

Unbelievable these guys handle 7,000 lb per axle.

In 1984 my 16 foot double axle trailer was made from old rusty scrap farmer steel and two shortened 7,000 axles with mobile home wheels.
I hauled a 12,000 lb abandoned batch bake oven out of Detroit to Sylvania, Ohio on it for rebuild and resale.

skip.

Brian 1851

Hi kickingbug1,

Did you have a problem with your 8 in tires; is that why you want to go with a 12 inch tire?  I bought some new tires for my trailer a couple of years ago.  I upgraded from 5.7-8 4pl load range b (715lbs per tire) bias tire to load range c 6 pl (910lbs per tire).  The brand name is Loadstar and I have not had any problems with these tires, they work great.  If you have a lot of stuff on your boat and you want a higher rating you can get a load range d that is (1075 lbs per tire).

Hi Mattman,

It is interesting that they said your tire is 4 pl because if your tire says load range c (910lbs) 75psi, it should be 6pl.  Each tire should have a PR_ (ply rating on the tire).  Mine has a PR6 on the tire.

Hope this information helps.

Brian

skip1930

Just to be clear. Are we talking lb per axle or lb per rubber tire-which is the load range embossed on the tire's side wall a x amount of inflation?

"... from 5.7-8 4pl load range b (715lbs per axle) bias tire to load range c 6 pl (910lbs per axle). "

"Per axle? or per tire?"
The 7,000 lb axle refers to the tubes, saddles, U-bolts, springs, equalizers, spindles, bearings, hubs, lugs and rims ... regardless of rubber tires.

The most stress is placed on the spindles and bearing when turning at speed. If your going to break something it's during a turn.

skip.

Thanks Brian, I knew what you meant. Just poking you a bit.

Brian 1851

Skip,

Thanks for catching my mistake.  I should of said per tire. 

kickingbug1

i have checked and found that 480 12inch tires are 20 inches tall and 530s about and inch or so higher as well as wider (little over 5 inches). for those of you using 12 inchers, is there a big difference in stability while trailering with either size?

mattman

Brian, the tires do say 4 ply on the sidewall. Who knows, they are doing ok for the trips I am making. Warm but not hot to the touch. They were only going to inflate to 35 psi but I told them I wanted the 75. the mechanic said that would be too rough a ride for the trailer and we settled on 50. I have not noticed any problems but will increase now that the weather is cooling down. I have always run my tires at max pressure before. Just my best guess.

MacGyver

Trailer tires should always be set at the reccomended pressure, if it says 50, do 50, 75 do 75,

The reason is the sidewalls need to be full, and lower pressures could cause a premature degradation and destruction of the sidewalls leading to failure early on....... Atleast that is what I was told by my trailer company buddy that has been dealing with trailers for about 30 years..... around here he is the go to guy..

I always keep mine at 90. that is what they want, so that is what they get.

Car tires are a different story. My truck recommends 32. the tires say 50. I run at 40 and got a better ride. I beleive they are more adjustable as far as tire pressures, otherwise when mudding why would you decrease tire pressure....... or rock crawling, why run 3 to 5 then?

Just my thoughts.
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.