a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gooseneck Cap replacement

Started by hinmo, September 08, 2013, 03:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinmo

Anybody have to replace the boom outhaul cap or gooseneck cap? A present apparently slipped to me by the PO (I just got the boat yesterday....so far, the only surprise).

I think this is it:

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=30&cat1Name=Booms&familyID=5&familyName=DM%2D275+Boom

I guess you have to drill out the rivets and pop the cap off (sounds waaaaaayyyy to easy).

Any experience?

Rahn

hinmo

Thanks Rahn - doesn't look that tough.

Newbie here folks, is there a parts supply for older CP16s? Anybody got a link?

Rahn

I would email Compac and get it from them. It will probably cost you more but you'll know your getting the right part, can ask for installation support if needed and also support the builder. Good luck.

MacGyver

Just my opinion on the smaller spars, and actually on bigger spars, I typically reinstall parts with pop rivets again.  Sometimes the nature of SS and Aluminum is that of hatred, and you can potentially break off the SS bolts due to a single gall in the Aluminum.

It is hard to say exactly when I thread aluminum..... it is almost on a case by case basis for me.

Rule of thumb.... if it had rivets in it before, use rivets again. If theydrill really easy, they were aluminum. If it takes a bit, then it was a SS rivet.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

JTMeissner

It is that easy.  It was one of the first things I attempted to fix on the boat; a broken gooseneck tang.  Aluminum rivets, a pop rivet tool, and a drill were pretty much all it took.  Although made by Dwyer, I think I ordered from Hutchins and saved a few bucks (including shipping).

I discuss the process here, but it's pretty much as described in the link by Rahn.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4753.msg33035#msg33035

-Justin

hinmo

Thanks Justin - just ordered the boom gooseneck cap from Hutchins, yup - cheaper than the other link....Hutchins sounds like a quality organization.  (Being an Ex-Catalina owner, nice to be hooked up with another responsive manufacturer and support group)

Anybody have a clue what the jam cleats on the tracks running full-length along the cockpit combing on port and starboard are? Genoa? They are definitely not standard...maybe a manf kit or aftermarket.

Thanks all

jpfx

yup, genoa. see JTMeissners avatar.

hinmo

jpfox - yup, makes sense, I did get a couple gennies in the deal