a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

slick deck - anti-skid needed

Started by Cevin c Taylor, September 05, 2013, 10:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cevin c Taylor

I worked hard over the Labor Day weekend getting the old chalky oxidized coating off my '83 CP 16.  She's looking much better.  However, as I worked forward, I am finding that the top of the cabin and deck are now very slick ( I guess that oxidation had at least one good quality - traction).  As I wrote elsewhere, I'm sanding it down to 2000 grit paper, and then waxing it.  I have avoided sanding and waxing the textured panels, but even so, standing on it in my socks, I was sliding around.  It will probably be much worse when wet. 

I know that they make anti-skid paint, or something like that.  I'd like something simple.  Would this work:  sand the textured panels down enough to rough them up - say to 200 or so, and then paint them with the anti-skid paint?  Would I also need primer?  I know the answer to the last question probably varies by manufacturer.  I'd like something I could just put on with no primer if possible.  Thanks.

MacGyver

My recoomendation having actually done that on my 19 on the floor in the cockpit, with the manufacturers advice, and having access to the paint rep (I have been dealing with him at work for 14 years, so i have his personal number  ;) )

Use Interlux Perfection. it is a 2 part, so only mix what you will use.
Use GripTex or Interlux "Intergrip"
The Intergrip is not as rough, I used GripTex and like how it came out, but I like to be planted well on small boats.

You prep the surface with Red Scotch brites, and several will be used, it is a bit of work, and solvent wash the areas before and after to ensure no wax, etc.......

tape off your areas using a fine line tape, pressed firmly down, then tape with the blue mask tape allowing the edge of the fine line to remain, this will make nice crisp lines.

Use foam rollers to roll the paint on, going to need about 2 coats, maybe 3, then one coat of paint only.

The griptex or Intergrip is mixed into the paint, so it is a solid bond, chemical in nature.

Ill try to snap a pic for you, otherwise check and see in my TOgether Time post in the 19 section if I have anything in there on that work...... I cant remember if I posted on all the actually work yet........ It was a busy time with all the work I did.
If I dont have anything there, I can try to make a quick post about the process, I know I have video of some of it......I think.....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Cevin c Taylor

Mac - thanks for the info.  I'll be looking into where to get the paint.  Any idea how much would be needed for a 16'?