a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another Com-pac 16 restoration project

Started by waterwks4me, August 29, 2013, 08:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterwks4me

Well picked up my Com-pac16 a few weeks ago but had to do some major trailer work in order to get her the 250 mile trip home.  So the trailer now has a new axle, springs, hubs, and 12 inch wheels which now I believe may present a problem if I can't find a deep ramp to launch her.  I have started the tear down process: gutted interior and now scraping the paint that is literally hanging off the fiberglass.  In the process of removing all hardware on deck and stern since every nut and bolt practically will be replaced due to extensive rust.
Also removed teak trim work for repair or replace and will add some pieces as well.  I took off the rub rail expecting to see dried out caulking and some separating of deck/hull joint  but to my surprise the joint is very tight and the caulking is still pliable so cleaned it up and a new rub rail will go back on.  Does anyone know if the tape that was used in the construction process needs to go back on prior to the rub rail?  I heard the tape was used to speed up the construction process by not having to wait for the caulking to cure before putting on the rub rail.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.  I also started on making a new tiller and so far it is coming out great.  Lightly wet sanded the stern with 600 and plenty of water then compounded the gelcoat and I believe the gel coat will come back to life.  It already looks great just after the compounding.   I started on the stern just to see if it would come back but really not ready to do the topsides yet.  That can be done in the winter.  If you would like to see some pics so far I have included the link.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/rrob1313/library/?sort=3&page=1

deisher6

Hey WaterWorks:
Nice work so far,thanks for the pictures...remember to sail as soon as you can.

regards charlie

waterwks4me

Charlie, thanks, I am really enjoying working on the boat.  Although the compact 16 is definitely not ready to sail we have our other boat that we are going to Cape Lookout this coming week for a few days.  So I will still get my fix. lol

hinmo

Waterworks - hello to fellow newbie. Boat doesnt look bad at all. What year is it? Mines an '82. Has some issues, but having down-sized from a 34, then a 25, I am glad to have "smaller" problems. Gotta replace my axle next season when the boats in the drink....major effort?Axle looks cheap enough in boating terms ...around $100.

My interior looks like hell too....how do they get like that, I have not done a complete interior inspection, but don't see alot of shaky looking exterior hardware, etc for leaks

BTW - what are the keels made of? Lead or ???

-

waterwks4me

Hinmo, my compact 16 is a 1984.  The hull is in pretty good shape.  It needs to be compounded then polished and waxed but the gelcoat may be too far gone.  I believe it has lead pellets in the keel with a concrete cap over it.  But I am not 100% sure on that.  You can replace the axle for less than $100 if you search around.  I have now removed all exterior hardware so I can inspect, clean up or replace before re-bedding everything.  Good luck with your 16.  I hope to post some more pics shortly.  I am now in the process of varnishing the new tiller I made.

geodan

Compared to my newly acquired restoration project yours looks like a new boat.  All interior wood is shot, plus I'm missing all rudder hardware but the tiller.  The boat's rivets inside the rubrail had been removed long ago to allow raising the deck off the hull, presumably to provide better access for reworking inside the hull.  Between that open gap and the missing hatch covers lots of rainwater has settled inside.  Unfortunately, it was discovered too late that the entire rudder hardware is missing (as well as the transom boarding ladder).  Any reworkable rudder hardware donations would be highly appreciated.

mikew

Waterworks- you all correct with the hull/deck joint, I believe the factory used 5200 caulk and before it cured, white duck tape was applied so the rubrail could be installed the same day. If you need it, new rubrail is still available from the factory. The loose paint on the interior deck is
a common problem, so lightly sand, wipe down, and apply a latex outdoor paint. Good luck with your restoration- Question: Where did you get the new axle, springs and hubs for your trailer? 

Mike

waterwks4me

Mikew, I got the axle, hubs with spindles, bearings, springs, and new 12" wheels and tires at Agri Supply.  I think I paid around $260 for all of it.  So I feel like I have practically a new trailer.  I did the trailer work before I pulled the boat back home which was 250 miles.  Trip home was a breeze.

waterwks4me

Well the progress continues on my compac16.  Getting close to finishing up the restoration but would still like to build the aero rudder before spring.  I have updated and added more pics on photobucket.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/rrob1313/library/?sort=6&page=1

jb

waterwks4me

jb, thanks I'll take that as a compliment.  I have been having a blast working on her.  Keeps me out of trouble most of the time.  I put in a new electrical system with panel for interior lights, two power ports, cockpit light, as well as the running lights.  I've placed the battery forward.  Thinking about dividing up the forward "V" area so there is a designated area for anchor rode as well as storage.  Looking forward to dipping her in the water in the spring.

Mattlikesbikes

looks awesome.  I wish I was able to fit my 19 into my garage.  I have to wait until it warms up before I start doing any of my work right now.   

What did you use to paint the interior?

waterwks4me

Matt, once I scrubbed with a coarse sanding pad and then cleaned the surfaces I used oil-based KILZ (2 coats) and then semi-gloss oil-based rustoleum white and tan.