a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Custom Built Dodger?

Started by SouthOyster, August 23, 2013, 08:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthOyster

Just finishing restoring my CP 16/II, she come out really beautiful and its already giving us some very nice time on the water. Yesterday we went out in a stiff breeze and because of the chop there where quite lots os sprays, so I thought that in those conditions, or for any small cruising around, a having a custom dodger would be perfect. Does anyone made their own, and could eventually share some pictures? I appreciate your time and help.

Happy Weekend!! G

skip1930

Not on a 16, but two of the CP-19's in Wama-Lama lagoon are fitted with dodgers.
I suppose it's the same thing but rather scaled down.

I can't make my self put holes in my boat to anchor the dodger down, so I'm very sure I'll never have a dodger.

skip.

NateD

I know there was at least 1 guy over on the Trailer Sailor forum (http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/tsbbcomp/trailersailor/index.cgi) that has a dodger on a SunCat (I think, might be Horizon Cat). You could try posting there and asking.

When I have looked into, I just couldn't justify the cost. Just the materials are going to run you $550+ (check out the sailrite.com kits). That assumes you have a good sewing machine and are willing to try and tackle the thing. Having someone do the whole thing for you is probably going to run $1,000-$1,500.

I've considered a dodger many times for both my 16 and now my 23, but have decided that the tradeoffs aren't worth it. First it really restricts your ability to go forward on a small boat. On bigger boats the side decks are wide enough that you can get around the dodger, but on the 16 you basically have to step on the coach roof (if I remember right). Second, you'll either have to fabricate a seahood for your hatch, or you won't be able to get a good seal (and lots of wear/chafe) between the forward middle edge of the dodger and the sliding hatch. Third, and this kind of goes back to point 1, if you need to do anything at the mast the dodger is going to get in the way. I used to stand in the cabin on my 16 and adjust the topping lift or the spinnaker halyard (the jib and main halyards were led back to the cockpit).

While every once-in-awhile I wish I had a dodger while sailing due to spray or rain, but mostly I think they would be nice at anchor to leave the hatch open in the rain. However, with the bimini on my 23 I can scoot it forward on an adjustable track so that it covers most of the hatch, or if the wind is also blowing rain in, I can unhook the rear straps from the bimini and tip it forward so that it creates kind of a solid wall just forward of the hatch; kind of like a dodger without windows. The other option at anchor is an umbrella over  the hatch, much cheaper than a dodger or bimini and it won't get in the way when sailing.

frank

southoyster.....can you PM me your email and I'll send pictures of how to make patterns. Nate...I respectfully dissagree. I love my dodger for many reasons from sun to spray to rain days. Wouldn't cruise without one!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Cruzin

Frank,
I would like to get pictures of how to construct dodger as well if you don't mind. Please copy me when you have time. Does anyone have pictures of their dodger?
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Bob23

My 23 came with a very mini dodger...looks cool but not very effective. Sorta looks like a cropped windshield version of a dodger. I can see the value of one when the spray hits me in the face plus it could extend my sailing season into the later fall days when the water is colder.
   I can't see how a dodger would really hinder my access forward to a serious extent. But that's just me...
Bob23

frank

Couldn't find where you can send personal messages?? Email me and I'll send you several dodger pics as well as pattern pics, I'll be camping till next week.....leaving in the a.m.     f durant "at" web hart "dot" net

SouthOyster

Thank you so much for your good reply and sorry for the late reply, initially the topic was not getting enough traction and since I went of out of town I forgot to check on it as I would. The idea of a dodger for my 16 came out of seeing one on a Suncat (small craft advisory magazine) and really fall in love with it.

Frank,

Would really love to see what you did and trying to make one myself, I use heavy duty sewing machines, and I could readily get some of the necessary tubing for the structure. I am aware that having a dodger may make going forward a bit more difficult, but when cruising a bit of farmer away destinations, you surely want to protect yourself from the spray and the weather, so it would be surely be a nice thing to have one.

As for personal messages, I am not sure how, but I will try to, and see if I can send you a personal message with my own email address where you can kindly send your patter and any pictures if you have. I thank you in advance for the time, and also kudos to everyone else that somehow revived the topics. I hope you're having a blast this season, and I am wishing you all a special labor day weekend.

G

SouthOyster

Frank, just email you my address, thank you very much!!

G

Salty19

Frank, if you can post the pictures here, or email to me and I'll
post them, others can enjoy/benefit from them as well.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

frank

Salty 19....email me and I will forward you what I sent the others. Unfortunately I'm missing a few pictures...but I think/hope what I sent helps.

PS...posting pictures here is too complicated for this ole guy   ???

Cruzin

Frank,
Great idea to get them posted on the site for all to see. Your dodger looks great! Thanks for the pictures and the detailed description. Now if just knew how to sew. Maybe I could find a nice little mermaid somewhere that wants to sail and likes to sew!
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Onehandsailor

South or Frank can you guys post the photos for all to see.

;)

frank

I e-mailed a wordie note and pics to 4-5 here. There were 2 good pics I could not find....but I think the ones I did find sufficed. I find it frustrating (impossible) to post pics here (technophobe)...can one of the fellows I sent the info to post the note and pics??

Onehandsailor

Very nice cat, got these from Dale. thanks much great help.