a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac 16 shrouds

Started by Frederick, August 21, 2013, 11:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederick

I just purchased a 1987 Com-Pac 16.  The shrouds (side stays) are placed aft to where the mast is, making it impossible to position the boom 90 degrees to the  mast because the  shrouds are in the way.  Is this the way it is suppose to be or did someone make a change in the position of the  shrouds?  When going into a beam reach I can not put the main sail even close to a 90 degree angle.

Short Sale

The configuration of my 1987 Com-Pac 16/II with the bowsprit is that the shrouds are connected to the chainplates that are on the sides of the hull aft of the mast.  The spreaders do not open out perpendicular to the mast, but angle slightly back making a kind of arrow shape.  This photo is not as illustrative as I would like, but you should be able to get the idea.

I believe that the positioning of your shrouds are the way they were designed.  I am able to get the boom out there, but I guess I cannot get it out there at 90 degrees. 

George
Short Sale
1987 Com-Pac 16/II #2454

carry-on

Frederick,
I think you have the standard set up. The chain plates are aft of the mast on the 16. Without a backstay, this gives some resistance when the mast tries to move forward.
I don't think you need the main out as far as you describe when on a beam reach.
If you "heave to" or are on a run, wing and wing, your main will likely be against the shroud. So you don't want any sharp edges at the spreader/shroud connection.
Fair winds to you.

$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Frederick

Thanks for the information.  This evidently is not a problem.

Fred