a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trimming the Eclipse

Started by Skip_956, March 20, 2006, 11:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip_956

Hi to all - I will be purchasing my Eclipse this week.  Having done a little reasearch it looks as if most of the Eclipse's have their mast with a forward tilt.  In my experience this has made most of the boats I have sailed slower.  Some of you Eclipse owners let me know your experiences, the Eclipse may sail faster with the forward tilt of the mast but let me know your ideas.

Craig Weis

A wee bit of fwd tilt is good for my CP-19 as this tends to combat weatherhelming. But I'm flying a 150% lapper and I think the Eclipse has a fractional rig, not a masthead, so the fwd sail is smaller and less prone to weatherhelming for that reason. Or am I wrong?
In any case site up the mast from the vee birth through the hatch to make the mast straight port and starboard. And from the dock for fwd backwards. Try it both ways. Remember it's not a fast hull. skip

Skip_956

Anyone with any general trimming thoughts on the Eclipse let me know.  I have raced sailboats and cruised sailboats, while I realize this is no racer there must be some tips to getting the most out of the boat.  I hope to hear from someone that has some experience with the Eclipse that can give me a little head start.

Skip - Thanks for the tips, I will most certainly try that.

Craig Weis

I'd say to sail her a little loose by letting the sail blossom out and 'flap' a bit on the leach. Put some tel-tails on both sails and a good knot meter or gps and try for the best speed. I know that is of no help...skip you knew that all ready.