Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Radar Detector for Sailboats

Started by Pacman, August 01, 2013, 01:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacman

Here is my question;

Can a standard automotive radar detector be used to alert a sailor to the presence of other larger vessels that are using radar?

I would think so if the bands (frequency) used are similar but I don't know if they are the same.

I would appreciate any related information.

Thanks,

Dave
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

CaptRon28

The cops use certain frequencies on 3 or 4 different radar bands for their guns - usually X, K, and Ka. The detectors are set up to monitor some of all of these distinct frequencies. Other types of radar (marine, etc.) use different frequencies and/or bands depending on how far out they have to reach. One can probably modify a detector to scan these frequencies but it would take some work and expertise to do it.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

NateD

When I have looked into this before regular automotive ones would not work. There was (is?) a company that makes a marine radar detector, but the consensus seems to be that you're better off with an AIS receiver if you're looking to detect large ships. Doesn't help you with the small ones in fog though.

skip1930

Reading in The Navy Times years ago, when the military ran out of money [again] for airborne radar detection devices on aircraft some pilots ran out a purchased there own automotive radar detectors and mounted said items on there own aircraft. It worked. That's all I can say.

I think it's better to have a tubular radar reflector sitting atop a spreader and fastened to the standing rigging. Of course those only work if someone in a ship's pilothouse is watching the scope.  ???

skip.