a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-16, Toggles on a CDI Furler?

Started by jb, July 19, 2013, 06:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

have a FF2 furler from my old boat that I would like to install on my 1996 CP16.

The CDI instructions state "..there should be a  toggle at both ends of the forestay." Current forestay has a toggle on the deck side but none on the mast end. Mast end does have the ability to move fore & aft.  I was hoping to be able to utilize the present forestay  and avoid buying a new piece of wire??

What has been the practice  of CP16 owners with a CDI furler??  Two toggles ??

Thanks for any input.

jb

JBC

I get by just fine with a FF2 furler without the top toggle. However, my furling jib is only 110%. Can't vouch for the arrangement for a larger Genoa. Not a whole lot to wind up with the smaller headsail.
Jett

jb

Thanks Jett, do you have a CP-16, if so what year?

tks,

j

JBC

Yes, my CP 16 is a 1990 MKIII, with the bow sprit.
Jett

jb

Jett,

looks like you will save me the cost of a new headstay, thanks! How much space  did to leave between the top of the furler and the mast fitting?

j

JBC

JB, I'm not near the boat right now, so can't check for sure.  But the top halyard fitting on the foil clears the mast, so I'm guessing no more than a couple of inches beyond that.

Interestingly, my Catalina 18 FF2 furler had a toggle/swivel drum arrangement on top of the furler, but my (used) CP 16 came fitted with the FF2 without that feature.  Works fine though.  I've always thought a PO installed the FF2, but don't know for sure, as the boat came with a newer mast and boom than the original ones, though receipts show both were ordered from ComPac, so I assume are stock. Never bothered to ask why!

Jett