News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing Old Cabin Carpet with Synthetic teak. Anyone?

Started by SouthOyster, July 11, 2013, 08:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthOyster

I am going through my list and as per usual its getting a bi longer. One thing is the old carpet inside the cabin, I was planning to just replace it, but then I realized that using synthetic teak instead would make the cabin even prettier. Does anyone have
idea on how difficult will be, anyone attempt this idea before?

thank you so much for your time and advices in advance. This is the product I am thinking about.

http://www.nuteak.com/Frames_Pages/NuTeakInterior.htm

Lafayette Bruce

I did it in my 19 and love it.  It is cool to your feet, I guess because it gets the coolness for the water temperature.  I also have a small carpet that I put on top of it to add some warmth.  Go for it!

Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

SouthOyster

Bruce, that looks really good and truly get me going. Just curious, what brand and product you end up using? Nicely done, great execution.

Thank you! Guido

skip1930

That teak sure looks nice.
I was wondering about the surface under the carpeting ... isn't it poured cement that has turned into concrete? And therefore not a smooth flat surface? I can feel the bumps under my carpet on my CP-19.

And wouldn't that undulations make the wood wavy, or unsupported in some spots?

So what I'm suggesting is, "Do we need a trolled on subfloor before the wood goes [glued?] down?

I might be making way too much of this and over thinking the project.

I recall having to pull up the entrance tile, which was imported polished Chinese Pink Sandstone, on a Palmer Johnson Yacht because one tile out of about 40 square foot was higher then the rest by about an 1/8 th of an inch. 'Boats beyond perfection'.

skip.

Pacman

Skip has a good point.

It might be good to level the surface with a layer of self-leveling cement to provide a nice surface for under the wood.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Lafayette Bruce

If I recall there was a 1/2" ply under the carpet.  I took that out too, used a chisel some to do some rough leveling and then put a 1/4" ply under the 1/2" teak & holly laminate (not sure what brand it is).  The teak and holly is ready dense and I though the 1/4 ply would provide some "give" for high spots in the concrete.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce