Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Info needed on 2002 16:

Started by Bob23, July 08, 2013, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Hi Mates:
   While I'm very familiar with my 23, I don't know all that much about the 16's but I have my eye on this one which is about 1/2 hour from my home:
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3917678224.html
   From the little info given, what do you think this boat is worth? It looks interesting but I wonder if there are any inherent problems with a centerboard 16 that are peculiar to that model?
Thanks in advance for your replies, mates!
Bob23

MacGyver

Bob,

I have issue with Centerboards, but only because it is other working parts, etc..... That being said, i would say that If the boat is in great shape, needing only some elbow grease and a little care, it would be a good boat to get.
Hopefully someone will post what the interior looks like with the trunk, etc, or if you go look at it, post some pictures of the interior and such, as I am highly intrigued by this kind of mod..... not that I am thinking of doing this mod to the 19, just that they did it.
I have seen inside the 16 or Sailen69 boat, and  have seen a lot (and worked on) of centerboard boats. If done properly, I could see it being a awesome boat performance speaking.

keep us informed. I myself am looking for a 16 (the SUV would be able to pull it :) ) so I watch your adventures with great interest.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

carry-on

Bob,
First saw the 2002 CP16 listed on Sailingtexas.com. The asking price when listed (3/21/13) was $6200. Now at $3800, it is well below NADA.
As you may know, 2002 was the last of the 16s. Don't know how good the molds were at that point, but as you know Hutchins' boats are VG.
My 16 is a '97, with a center board. I've had the boat about two years. It lives on a trailer. The CB was serviced in 2009. I've had no problems. No flapping noise. I use the CB upwind and I guess it reduces the side slide. Sometimes I forget it and the sailing seems about the same. The CB and slot don't get a washdown so the salt is at work.
I like my traveler which is also on the NJ boat. I like the location of the jib/genoa tracks on the NJ boat.
I don't know if I would like the lifelines. No lazerettes in my boat ..looks the same in the 2002. No leaks but no cockpit storage.
The NJ boat looks to have the stock rudder blade. I changed to a Rudder Craft foiled blade...nice difference. You can build one.
The dark blue hull looks weak. If it is a factory finish it should come back. Dark hulls take a beating in the sun.
The 16 is a very nice day sailer. Three stays make life very simple. Sail replacement is not a second mortgage and upkeep is not bad.
At the current asking, it is worth a hard look.
Good Luck
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

crazycarl

Quote from: carry-on on July 08, 2013, 10:38:19 PM
The dark blue hull looks weak. If it is a factory finish it should come back. Dark hulls take a beating in the sun.

is the hull weak, or is that a reflection off a very shiny hull?

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

skip1930

I see no advantage in having a centerboard on a CP-16.
But I have no experience with this set-up either.
How much further dose one need to crab into the wind?

skip.

carry-on

Carl,
By "weak", I was referring to the finish not hull strength. Not the best choice of words.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Citroen/Dave

Bob,

When I was researching the CP16's for my purchase, I read some where that the center board model pointed a little high going up wind but was a little slower going down wind due to the increased turbulence at the bottom of the keel. The report stated that it was a trade off.  This is third hand info.

I like the simplicity of my standard keel.

Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Craig

One CB advantage: It will let you know the water is getting thin before you go hard aground! ;D That being said, "A man ain't been aground ain't sailed very far". ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

Thanks for all your help, gents. You're the best! I'm hoping to go see it tomorrow. Pray that the seller won't accept my offer...you may very well save my marraige!   In answer to Skip's question: As high as possible!
Bob23

wes

Heard this one at the dock: "There are two kinds of sailors: those that have run aground, and liars."

But this is my all time favorite: "There are two kinds of people in the world: those who divide the world into two kinds of people, and those who don't."

Think about it - but not too hard.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

crazycarl

carry-on,

i took it you meant the finish.  it looks like a reflection rather than a faded hull.

craig,

your dead on about the centerboard.  our last boat was a starwind 19.  it had a keel/centerboard like the compac 16 in question.  several times i heard/felt the centerboard drag and was able to avoid a grounding.

citroen/dave,

when going "down wind" the board is raised for increased speed.  i do this with our 15' daysailer and it only has a swing keel/centerboard.  you just have to remember to drop it back down before tacking!  which unfortunately, i've also done  :o

carl

carry-on

Carl,
If you look at this boat on sailingtexas.com, you will see a port side view of the CP16 on a trailer.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

crazycarl

i think what we're seeing here is the reflection of the cloudy sky with a tree lined horizon just above the water line.  as the curve of the hull rises toward the stern, we see more of the tree line.

either way, someone will have to inspect this boat to put this riddle to rest.  ;)

carl

Bob23

I may very well put the riddle to rest if I look at the boat tonight. Once again, the dedicated Compac-o-nauts here have not only provided invaluable knowledge but life wisdom. There are two kinds of people on this site: But I can't remember who they are!
Bob23