a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wheel stiffness....

Started by mgg, February 28, 2006, 05:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgg

My CP-19 has a wheel - not factory installed.  The wheel is stiff - or so it seems to me(not actually having any experience with what a 20 ft boat wheel should feel like).  

If I turn the wheel - it will pretty much stay in place, even at full speed.  While that means I can put the wheel at a spot and it stays - it also means I spend a lot of energy making even small adjustments.  It also means there is little or no "feel" of the rudder.

I've pulled it all apart - and it is the single cable going back to the rudder thats stiff.  No inherent way to lube of course.

So how stiff should the wheel be?
tnx
mgg

Craig Weis

These wheels usually have a manual hand break to tention the action to and from the wheel/rudder~input/output.
Grease the silly thing. skip. I have no idea why its stiff.
Cable/jacket and maybe dry?
What drives the rudder? Somthing kinked if it's a cable inside the hull?
Rubbing if it's a rod push-pull set-up?
Gundegon and pin too tight on the castings with the bolts?
Is the rudder all the way down? Or somewhat kicked up...
Anybody else have any ideas?

mgg

The cable is way to heavy to have a kink, bend or anything else.  The bend radius is about 4 feet.  

I pulled it all apart - it was the cable itself that was stiff.  No brake, nothing wrong at rudder.  Wheel shaft was smooth and lubricated.  I drilled a hole in the collar at one end of the cable, installed a grease fitting  and pumped till it came out that end - to no avail.  I then put WD-40 in a little tank I had for flushing A/C systems, plumbed it to the cable and let it force feed lubricant overnight - its now reasonably loose.  I put the grease fitting back in and feed as much grease as it will take.

I expect it will be fine this season - I'm still trying to track down a cable like this for eventual replacement but so far no luck.

crbakdesign

What is the diameter of the cable?  Can you post a couple of pics of your rig. I think we have a distant shot of it but I'm still trying to visualize how it looks close up.

Craig Weis

You said it cable may just be too large and stiff for a four foot dia loop/curve. Straighten it out somewhat. [Easy for you to say skip].