a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

GPS/Chartplotter

Started by mgg, February 28, 2006, 05:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgg

Does anyone use a mapping GPS or Chartplotter on a CP-19 sized boat they'd like to rave about?  Normally I sail on a small lake - and a plain old Garmin GPS is enoug to track performance.  I'm looking however to get my boat equipped to the point I could sail around Door county, WI or the coasts of Michigan - and am thinking about something like the Garmin 376C.  In part because it can also download WX weather maps yet still be portable enough to use on the road.  

Are there better combinations?  Especially if I ignore the XM weather ability?  
I know I could do all this with a PC and plain GPS, but I'd rather have a display near the wheel with everything on it.

mgg

Bill Pfanstiel

WE use a Garmin 276C Plus on our CP23/II. It is a wonderful device,It is right on when it came to navigating the Chesapeake last year.It does not have weather capabilities,but can be interfaced with our VHF which I hope to do this year. The bluechart software is easy to use once you get the hang of it. On the road the unit will not let you get lost,but it does not always take you by the best route.(at least what I consider to be the best ). The city select software is also easy to use once you get the hang of it,so you can create your own routes. Hint ; zoom in on the areas you want to include on your map. otherwise it is hard to exclude side streets on your route(you will wonder why is it directing me there?) The down side is the price, land/sea package from wwest marine was $1200.00. Good luck with your search and your Boat.
Bill Pfanstiel
"Sunpuddles"
CP 23/II

Craig Weis

mgg, A Raymarine 435i [the " i "  is for internal atenna] chartplotter.
I like it. Around $1000.00 bucks. [BOAT = Break out another thousand].

Hint...make sure that whatever is installed is fitted with a on/off switch feeding power into the unit. I have failed to wait long enough when my unit counts down to shut off...and have run my 1000 amp hour battery down to nothing several times.  skip.

Paul

Skip:

Did you go to that Chartplotter school you mentioned about in May?  Green Bay I think it was.  Was it worthwile?  Just curious.

Paul

john walker

i too sail door cty waters, home port is the new cedar river state harbor, 18 1/2 mi. accross from sister bay, in MI.  i have a garmin hand held etrex vista,  works really well. i have a lighter socket in the cockpit so can go either way for power.  i sail a suncat, go accross to sister bay about twice a month for a week at a time.  last trip over was on a close reach. speed hit 5.9 mph, rudder satarted singing from cavitation, approaching a broach!,, luffed sail a little to 5 mph, all the way accross.   good luck, johnny walker