a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Finally in the water.

Started by Mattlikesbikes, June 14, 2013, 09:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

My CP19 is at its slip for the summer.   Took us about 45 minuets to rig the boat and off we went. I still need to do some more cleaning and sealing (water still coming in the cabin when it rains) but it is in the water.

I might have a water pump issue in my outboard which hopefully does not delay the start of my summer of sailing. I have a Johnson Sailmaster 8hp and I am just getting dripping out of the pee hole ( water pump indicator). I am hoping it is just a clogged water indicator but if it is not I will pull the motor tomorrow and see about replacing the water pump impeller.

I am also docked next to the widest pontoon boat in the marina. I have to call the park on Monday and see if I can move there are plenty of empty slips but my slip is in the po's name and that might cause me some problems.

Going to go for my first sail in 5 years tomorrow. Can't wait

Oh I did not try to bend the mast back. I Just put it up with the bend in it. And when looking up at the mast it does not seem so bad.

Harrier

Tight squeeze.  Any plans to rename your new to you boat?  I'm seeing the potential for a theme.  ;D

Salty19

No kidding that is a very narrow slip! Going to make landing tough at times!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Mattlikesbikes

It's tight but as long as I have a second person at the bow with a boat hook I am good.
What sucks is I can not go out myself . I do not think I can get the boat in smooth enough. I need that second person to fend off so I do not play bumper boat.

Tim Gardner

Hey Bikes,   

Ram that pontooooon, Aim for his fenders, Bounce off!  If he pitches a fit, tell him you'll damn the torpedoes the next time! Seriously, talk to the marina manage \r & get a slip next to another CP 19 Owner.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Billy

If the marina won't move you.....
just pull up abeam to the end of the finger dock with a spring line tied up to your midships cleat. Hop off and walk her into the slip.

OR use the torpedoes.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Mattlikesbikes

The marina is in a state park so it is run by the Pennsylvania DNRC so I am dealing with park rangers. The slips are non transferable and if you change your boat it must be submitted it in writing. My dad's friend who gave me the boat had the slip for 4 years I think and had another boat in there before the cp19.  He said he gave the park info for changing the boat but they lost it and it is not what is listed on the paperwork.   The Pontoon boat was there last year and he said he tried to get the slip moved but they would not do it for him.   

I did call the Park a few weeks ago to find out about getting a slip reserved for next year but you cannot do that until March I think.  I told them I am a partner in the boat and I am buying it out and the end of the season, which is mostly correct.  Basically I was informed to give them a call when I buy out the boat and they will see what they can do. I have a feeling that if I rock the boat so to speak I might have to shell out $500 for another slip which I am not going to do this year with the season half over and I do not have the extra cash even if I wanted to.  Trying to get my dads friend to call is also going to be a huge PITA he is still dropping parts off at the office every week or so (just got some more of the trim).  So I might be kind of stuck there. What stinks even worse is there are plenty of empty slips this year.

I might Billy's idea but I want to get a little more comfortable with the piloting the boat around the marina first

Bob23

Sounds like Matt is a victim of some good old government buracracy. Maybe you could look at the bright side- you'll be honing your docking skills by staying there. Buy some more fenders.
Bob23

MacGyver

I am glad I dont work for the Government at our marina.... We just rent the ground and put up with inspections all the time.....Of course we set the standard of pimpness and awesomness, so passing the inspections is easy, breezy, beautiful cover squirrel.  ;D :D ;) ;D

Good luck, and I second the fenders statement. Funny joke, we launched a customers boat last week, he had seven fenders. we have a good amount of room so fenders on both sides is a rare needed occurrence. So we put them all on one side.... on a 30 foot boat.
Giggling like school kids the whole time...... We know the customer pretty good too.  ;)

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Wow, you sure are having problems getting the state of PA to be reasonable.

First titles, now slips.

I would ask your Dad's friend to send them a letter (which you'll write and just have him sign) with your photo above.
Be brief, professional and be sure to thank them for the wonderful facilities they offer.

State something like "you're concerned about the safety of the current tight-quarter docking arrangements for both boat occupants' families due to the potential of passengers falling overboard or pinching their limbs during docking maneuvers.  Any type of wave or adverse wind severely affects the ability to safely dock.  For my families safety aboard I ask to be relocated to a slip with adequate safety margin, such as slips # 1, 2, 3, etc

We enjoy and appreciate the beautiful facilities that the Dept of whatever offers, but wish to do it safely in a more appropriate slip.

Thank you for your consideration."

Actually go back and take another photo with a mother and child standing on the starboard cockpit seats with a worried look on her face. Guilt, man, guilt!
You can beat these guys, most any clerk at a state agency would probably stamp it approved with the picture and a nice letter.  Be real nice and use the word safety a lot if they call.  Or rather coach your Dad's friend what to say.

Seriously try the letter, you'll get better results than a phone call or in person visit.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Salty:
   Are you sure you're not a lawyer? I can see the shingle hanging over your door now: "Salty's Maritime Law office." I love the photo idea. I see a real victory in the courts here. Why, ladies and gentlemen of the jury: This is a clear case of brand profiling: It's obvious bias against Compac owners. I believe this is against federal law and could go all the way to the Supreme Court.
Bob23

brackish

Guess I don't quite understand.  At my marina, which has those double slips like yours, I consider I am paying for 1/2 of the area between the finger piers and have a right to it.  I've had a pontoon boat placed next to me before, but never one that took up over half the space.  Unless your neighbor is paying a higher premium based on width, not length, and they have a policy that allows that, I would approach it from that manner.  Of course, it is the Guvmint, so logic may not prevail.  I don't really have that problem, partly because I pay for an annual slip and most of the pontoon guys just come in for the season and pay for three or four months.  The Marina manager lends an ear to any problems brought up by the higher paying annuals.

I do like Salty's idea.  Often with bureaucrats, if you can plant the seed of future bad publicity from catastrophic events that they did nothing to avoid, action may be taken, particularly if there is very little to be done on their part to move you.

If not moved, I would lobby your neighbor to put a drop down full length fender, indicating that at your current docking skill level, it would be in his best interest.

In certain cross winds, I would find it impossible to dock straight in that tight, but I think I could get to the end, hook a spring line, step off and walk the boat in by myself.  Most of my dockings are single handed, and I've had to do that under certain wind conditions with an open slip.

With regard to your cooling issue, I've had that happen before, it wasn't the cooling system that had a problem, I just picked up a piece of debris or grass, and it partially clogged the smaller indicating "pee" hole, but not the actual cooling outflow.  I stuck a coat hanger up there and cleared the clog.

kickingbug1

looks like you need the open slip behind you next to the other sailboat. i ask you is there any craft more beautiful than a 20 foot pontoon landing craft made out of old beer cans?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Mattlikesbikes

There is nothing better than relaxing at the marina looking at the back end of a pontoon boat 2 feet away. :o

I have been down there a lot the last few weeks and it does not look like anybody has touched that boat in a while

As for my issues with the State of PA.  Luckily I was able to resolve the trailer issue pretty easily and hopefully this can get resolved just as easy but I need to get all the paperwork with the slip corrected first.

But before I do any of this I need to finish rebuilding my trailer (bunks, keel rollers and hubs) I kind have it half apart in my driveway.  I would feel a little better if it was in one piece just in case.