a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Minn Kota shaft length, etc.

Started by Citroen/Dave, June 10, 2013, 08:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

I got to thinking about my third splash, solo, in Smith Mt Lake, a few days ago.  Everything seemed to go well except my jib sheets were too short for the 155% and I could not find a good way of hauling that electric thing hanging off the transom.  I seemed to drag it no matter what I did and when I did turn it on it took both hands to steer; one for the tiller and one for the other tiller.  When I raised up the shaft, the head just got in the way.  I never did try any combination with the outboard mount dropped to its lower position.

Two questions:

Has anyone shortened the length of the shaft of a Minn Kota.  I know it was intended to be a trolling motor for the front of a john boat and thus the need for a long shaft.
With a shorter shaft it would make a sweet iron wind machine for a CP16.  

Has anyone come up with a way of linking a Minn Kota to the rudder? I'm thinking of a slip off tube on the Minn tiller attached by a universal joint to a link running over to the CP tiller attached by a universal joint and some kind of a half tube/rubber band slip off clamp.  A slightly loose tube on the Minn tiller will allow rotation of the tiller to control the speed.

Thanks,
Citroen/Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

ahmch

m with my motor.  In the way when raised.
I have found that by tilting it up and  swiveling it all the way to one side is the best way.
I simply lock the motor in the straight position. and steer with my rudder.  There is a screw to keep motor from moving right or left.
I leave the motor in the cabin and dock under sail when ever possible.  Good practice and you can practice by throwing a fender in the water and using it as the "dock"
Plan your approach so you end up on a reach and spill you sails and head into the wind right before dock and you will stop.

Let me know if you shorten the motor. Sounds like it would work.  Maybe....

ssullivan

I stow mine in the cabin when not using it

JBC

I have two Minn Kota motors; one is 30 lb with a 30" shaft, the other a 45 lb with a 36" shaft.  I use the longer shaft on my 16.

I've got two tips to offer.  First, moving the motor mount toward the down position a notch or two from all the way up pushes the motor mount, and motor, away from the transom and allows a bit more distance from the stern.  For this option, the longer shaft is better since the mount is not all the way down, but the prop can still be well below the surface.

Second, when I don't want to stow it (as others suggest) in the cabin while sailing, but want it on the mount ready for use, I raise the motor shaft about two thirds up, swivel the motor around backwards, lock that and then partially tilt the motor forward.  This points the motor's tiller to the sky, and the prop is now backwards from normal running position.  But the tiller's high enough above the stern mounted mainsheet block so (most of the time!) I don't tangle the mainsheet when tacking, and I find that the motor doesn't drag the bullet/prop in the water when sailing.  It's just out of the water though, so a longer shaft might not work with this scheme.

Works for me.

Citroen/Dave

JBC,

I tried what you said on my fourth splash.  The long shaft Minn Kota can work fairly well.  Another day I might try taking out about 4 inches from the shaft.

Thanks,
Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

InertBert

I have a 45lb motor with a 36" shaft and in big waves with people on the front of the boat, it will keep the motor under the water.  I'd say leave well enough alone and just live with a long shaft.