a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Found a good trailer maker

Started by brackish, June 02, 2013, 09:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

I have been looking for a trailer for a 14' semi-V stitch and glue epoxy composite skiff I'm making.  Have had no success locally, used were expensive and junk, new were expensive and only painted, no galvanized folks up here in fresh water heaven.  Considered and rejected a Harbor Freight bolt up, too flimsy, painted, and would have to pay extra to get highway speed wheels.  I was in Mexico Beach, FL last week and went over to Panama City to get part for my MIL's fridge and passed a trailer place with a couple of little trailers out front.  Went in to look, ended up buying a trailer for my skiff on the spot.  All welded, galvanized, good light kit, good sound bunks, 12" highway speed wheels and easy lube spindles, 1000 lb. capacity for far less $ than I've found anywhere else.

Out of curiosity I asked Lynn, the owner, how much a trailer for a 23 would be.  $3203 for a glavanized, $4020 for an aluminum.  Both of these would be WITH all stainless steel disk brakes.  Those prices sounded pretty good so I thought I would pass it along.

I asked what it would cost to convert my trailer brake system to all stainless disk and he said between $600 and $1000 depending on what he could reuse from the coupler back.  I may let him look at my trailer next year when I'm down there.  BTW, he bought a lot of the Performance Trailer equipment at auction when they went out of business.

Austin Machine Works  (AMW Trailers)
2501 E. Bus. 98
Panama City, FL 32401
1-800-507-9490

my new skiff trailer:

Greene

That is a good price for a 23 trailer.  When we bought Wrinkles a year and half ago we searched all over for a trailer.  We looked at new trailer suppliers and they all seemed to be in the $5-7,000 range.  I would have bought new at that this guys price.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com