a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fender Locks

Started by bcoonan, May 22, 2013, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcoonan

I am a new Sun Cat owner and am considering adding one fender lock on each side.  Currently the fenders hang from a mid cleat and the base of the shrouds.  I would like to have the fender off the shrouds.   Are the fender locks necessary?  If so, where should they be placed.

capt_nemo

rumcat,

Welcome to the Sun Cat Family! Wish you many happy hours sailing, looking at, and working on your New Sun Cat.

Are "fender locks" necessary? Depends on how often you employ fenders to protect the topsides of your boat.

Hanging one from the midship cleat and one from the shrouds (chainplate) sounds like a reasonable solution to me.  When I hang fenders, which isn't too often, I too hang one from a midship cleat I installed on my New Sun Cat, with the other hung from the teak handrail to achieve the separation I want between the two on the curved hull.

I'm not sure what sort of "fender lock" you are considering adding. I would only suggest that you seriously consider the relative advantages and disadvantages of mounting anything ADDITIONAL. If you are satisfied with the location of midship cleat and chainplate but want to make them quickly attachable and removable for convenience then think about ways to achieve that goal WITHOUT ADDING ANYTHING.

Another point to seriously consider, especially if your New Sun Cat has an optional colored hull, is the type of fender to use for long term attachment. I have found that, much to my chagrin, my green hull color is thin soft PAINT and NOT GEL COAT! Fenders with soft cloth covers, used for only two nights at a marina, actually rubbed the hull producing a noticeable dulled area where they were attached. If I do go to a marina (rarely) I try to tie the boat up so that the fendered hull stays well away from the dock and NEVER TOUCHES IT. Don't be fooled by the white rubber-like rub rail installed on some docks.

Next important point to consider is fendering at launch ramps, especially at lower tides, or when the dock is well above barnacle encrusted pilings.

I was heartbroken when I quickly launched at a familiar ramp at low tide without thinking and did this:

My solution, "The Charlotte County Florida Ramp Fender", attached from stern cleat to chainplate:

Hope this provides food for thought.

capt_nemo

bcoonan

Capt Nemo,

Thanks for the advice, I will hold off on fender locks until I get a better feel if they are need or not.  The boat, Rum Cat, will be docked at a marina for the summer so the fenders will get a workout.  She goes in the water for the first time tomorrow.  I have a lot of experience with Flying Scots and Catalina's so this will be a new experience.

Enjoy the Memoria Day weekend.

Rumcat

Quote from: capt_nemo on May 22, 2013, 10:23:39 PM
rumcat,

Welcome to the Sun Cat Family! Wish you many happy hours sailing, looking at, and working on your New Sun Cat.

Are "fender locks" necessary? Depends on how often you employ fenders to protect the topsides of your boat.

Hanging one from the midship cleat and one from the shrouds (chainplate) sounds like a reasonable solution to me.  When I hang fenders, which isn't too often, I too hang one from a midship cleat I installed on my New Sun Cat, with the other hung from the teak handrail to achieve the separation I want between the two on the curved hull.

I'm not sure what sort of "fender lock" you are considering adding. I would only suggest that you seriously consider the relative advantages and disadvantages of mounting anything ADDITIONAL. If you are satisfied with the location of midship cleat and chainplate but want to make them quickly attachable and removable for convenience then think about ways to achieve that goal WITHOUT ADDING ANYTHING.

Another point to seriously consider, especially if your New Sun Cat has an optional colored hull, is the type of fender to use for long term attachment. I have found that, much to my chagrin, my green hull color is thin soft PAINT and NOT GEL COAT! Fenders with soft cloth covers, used for only two nights at a marina, actually rubbed the hull producing a noticeable dulled area where they were attached. If I do go to a marina (rarely) I try to tie the boat up so that the fendered hull stays well away from the dock and NEVER TOUCHES IT. Don't be fooled by the white rubber-like rub rail installed on some docks.

Next important point to consider is fendering at launch ramps, especially at lower tides, or when the dock is well above barnacle encrusted pilings.

I was heartbroken when I quickly launched at a familiar ramp at low tide without thinking and did this:

My solution, "The Charlotte County Florida Ramp Fender", attached from stern cleat to chainplate:

Hope this provides food for thought.

capt_nemo