a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Help with Cleaning under the Rub rail.

Started by Mattlikesbikes, May 15, 2013, 10:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

Hey Salty thanks for the tip on the vinegar I just picked up a jug at walmart and will give that a go first.

I think I am going to still go for a full face respirator. I actually have a msa half mask but I like the idea of full protection of the eyes ( i always seem to get something in my eye during projects even with safety glasses). I have a few projects around the house that it will come in handy for also.

I have not had a chance to get pictures of the galley yet. I have been super busy the past few days and now it is raining  and will be all week :(. I was hoping to get some work done on the boat but I guess it will have to wait until next weekend.

I did not see any mold on the interior wood trim but do you think the vinegar will work on porous material also ?

Salty19

Yep, the vinegar will work fine for wood and is safe for the finish.  Scrub off the mold/dirt and respray/soak.
However I wouldn't make a habit of cleaning wood with vinegar each time, just when there is green/white/black mold.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Mattlikesbikes

A little update.

I was sick all last week but was feeling better by the weekend. so I was able to get a little work done on the boat.

I was able to empty the bilge of about a inch nasty rain water that was probably in there all winter. I actually filled the bilge more and sprayed it down with the hose. In the process I learned that the bilge pump leaks and had to use a shop vac to get it dry.

I have all my supplies ready to clean the inside this weekend and if all goes well I might have it in the water in 2 weeks.